FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Is it OK to use PC with one RAM slot dead

Hi Friends,

I have Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 motherboard. It is 3+ yeard old. Suddenly one of the two RAM slots has starts beeping whenever I put a compatible DDR3 RAM stick in it for some reason unknown to me. Other slot seems to be fine. My RAM stick is fine as I have checked it with 3-4 other PCs. I have also tried other compatible RAM sticks, but the beeping never goes away. Is this RAM slot is gone? Dead? Can it be repaired? What possibly could have gone wrong? Is it OK to use my PC with one RAM slot totally dead? Is there any danger involve in doing so?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...M-S1-rev-20#ov

Thanks.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Re: Is it OK to use PC with one RAM slot dead

I would check out power supply or voltage levels via BIOS hardware readouts ( if available ).
    Also check for cruft in the slot ( dust or other matter ) give it a good blast w a CO2 canister

If neither of above changes results, I would start looking for a MB replacement. You never know where the problem is being introduced and what the potential fallout might be.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc27.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Quote Originally Posted by Kobuck
    I would check out power supply or voltage levels via BIOS hardware readouts ( if available ).
    BIOS voltage seems ok to me. power supply is also fine.
    Also check for cruft in the slot ( dust or other matter ) give it a good blast w a CO2 canister
    If neither of above changes results, I would start looking for a MB replacement. You never know where the problem is being introduced and what the potential fallout might be.
    Dust is also not there. But is it OK to use my PC with one RAM slot totally dead? Is there any danger involve in doing so? Many thanks.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

As I said "you never know".

If the fault is a "clean" break in the slot connections you may be ok.

If the fault interferes with data bus operations or the fault is actually in the bus leads themselves, at best you will see reduced performance due to recoverable errors and at worst unpredictable outcomes for undetected errors. In addition, the slot problem could easily be a symptom of a problem elsewhere on your mother board which could cause errors that you currently haven't detected.

Of course it depends on the consequences of errors introduced to your data, BUT:
    Anyone who thinks you are taking no risks continuing with one slot, hasn't been around long enough to be properly paranoid.
    Last edited by Kobuck; 18th May 2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc27.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

It depends on what you use computer for. I would say there is no danger as long you are OK with losing some unsaved work in case machine freezes.

As for the cause, inspect motherboard for bulged or leaky caps. This is a very popular fault for more then decade old motherboards. That would explain system instability or malfunction. Although I can see now your is a newer model, but I would check it anyway.

That model motherboard was produced during the height of the "counterfeit capacitors" scandal, so by all means give the caps on the motherboard a thorough exam using a bright light and hand-held magnifier if at all possible. Personally I'd bin the thing because it has begun to show problems and there is no way to know if the issue is progressive or not.
    Hope is not a plan

Personally I'd bin the thing because it has begun to show problems and there is no way to know if the issue is progressive or not.
    Yes ... I agree with this, unless you prefer "playing with fire". I much prefer reliable hardware and find it's more economical in the long run keeping it that way.

my H61 motherboard from Gigabyte's parent company ASUS, a P8-H61-M LE/USB3 just went the way of the recycling plant. It's FlashROM failed a couple of weeks ago. The RAM was detected okay, the storage controller configuration retention wasn't. Everything else, time, CPU and RAM frequencies, which onboard devices were enabled was stored fine still.

The boot list would chop and change if I cut mains power to the machine when it was shut down and replacing the CMOS battery and when that didn't work subsequently re-flashing the firmware didn't fix it. None of the drives were corrupt or failing either.

A little off topic , but have I missed something????

... Gigabyte's parent company ASUS ...
    I know there was a short lived joint venture attempt about 10 years back, but aren't these still the top 2 major competitors??

Quote Originally Posted by Kobuck
    As I said "you never know".
    Yes, things can be very unpredictable these days.

OK. But I am sorry to say I do not get you.

If the fault interferes with data bus operations or the fault is actually in the bus leads themselves, at best you will see reduced performance due to recoverable errors and at worst unpredictable outcomes for undetected errors.
    So far, performace has not been issue.

In addition, the slot problem could easily be a symptom of a problem elsewhere on your mother board which could cause errors that you currently haven't detected.
    Yes, it could be true.

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse
    That model motherboard was produced during the height of the "counterfeit capacitors" scandal, so by all means give the caps on the motherboard a thorough exam using a bright light and hand-held magnifier if at all possible. Personally I'd bin the thing because it has begun to show problems and there is no way to know if the issue is progressive or not.
    Right, I will buy a new motherboard. No point taking changes anymore. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by srakitnican
    It depends on what you use computer for. I would say there is no danger as long you are OK with losing some unsaved work in case machine freezes.

As for the cause, inspect motherboard for bulged or leaky caps. This is a very popular fault for more then decade old motherboards. That would explain system instability or malfunction. Although I can see now your is a newer model, but I would check it anyway.
    caps means capacitors, right? thanks.

Friends,

All of you have tried to help me, but my heart says I should not take changes and buying a new motherboard is the right way to go. Thanks.

OK. But I am sorry to say I do not get you.
    What I meant was:
    1) the unknown fault is in the connector you are plugging the memory sticks into
    2) the fault is "clean" in that it causes the card failure, but does not interact with the memory bus ( generates electrical noise, draws down voltages, hangs data on bus out of turn .... )