FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

LVM a must for Fedora installation

Hi Friends,

I just downloaded and installed Fedora 27 64 bit Workstation. I have been using Fedora since Fedora 5 and I have always installed it with LVM partitions. I have tried to install it using standard/regular partitions. Is it ok to do so? Or LVM is the best or recommended way to go? When it comes to data recovery LVM partitions offer little support compared to standard partitions?

Thanks.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Re: LVM a must for Fedora installation

LVM has its advantages where your disk storage environment is fairly dynamic. It offers features which are useful in replacing failing disk drives or resizing partitions.

However, I personally prefer the straight forward simplicity of standard partitions. Given the current cost, reliability, and space available with current disk technology I just over provision my partitions and stay with ext4 partitions. I'm sure there are other viewpoints, but that's what Linux is all about.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc28.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc27.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Quote Originally Posted by Kobuck
    LVM has its advantages where your disk storage environment is fairly dynamic. It offers features which are useful in replacing failing disk drives or resizing partitions.

However, I personally prefer the straight forward simplicity of standard partitions. Given the current cost, reliability, and space available with current disk technology I just over provision my partitions and stay with ext4 partitions. I'm sure there are other viewpoints, but that's what Linux is all about.
    correct, thanks.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

I've been using Fedora since Fedora Core 1 and have always used EXT partitions, so it must be OK to do so.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    I've been using Fedora since Fedora Core 1 and have always used EXT partitions, so it must be OK to do so.
    i,ve used lvm since whenever lvm was available. The first couplr years with lvm were a bit bumpy, but now i wouldn't consider standard partitioning. Lvm is reliablr, easy to use, and has great flexibility.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

LVM is useful when you may be frequently adding, deleting, or resizing partitions. For standard home use, it may add unnecessary complexity. Fedora comes from RedHat, which, in theory is aimed more at the server market, where LVM can be used to add storage, work with other vendors (such as EMC storage) and so on. For home use, it adds complexity (though not that much), often without much advantage.

I have a little page on it that some have found useful, but it doesn't go into advantages and disadvantages, just how to use it to add space and the like. http://srobb.net/lvm.html

Its biggest use is in the enterprise server market.

I use the standad setup. I use 40Gig for / , formatted as xfs. I manually arranged for swap and I force it to be 10gigs (only need 7). All other partitions but the last I set to a multiple of 10gigs, formatted as ext4. My laptop disk is 512gigs in size.

My SSD is 128gigs, partitioned as:

bios-boot 1meg
    /boot 1gig less 1 meg ext4
    / 41 gig xfs
    /home 41 gig ext4
    swap 10 gigs swap
    unallocated 11gigs

For each new release of Fedora I
    reformat /, swap, and /
    The above approach has worked for me for the 5 past releases of Fedora.

My reasoning for 10gigs swap is to accomodate "suspend" or "hibernate". Since doing the 10gig overallocation, (my system has 8gigs ram), I have no problems with just opening the computer, tapping the power button, and voila -- back to where I was at suspension.
    My unallocated 11 gigs or SSD are just following some advice from the web, where, to preserve SSD life, the recommendation is to not run the SSD at more than 85% utilisation.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

The SSD will have a minimum of five years of useful life under
    typical client workloads with up to 20 GB of host writes per day

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/ssdc/hpssd/sb/Intel_SSD_320_Series_Product_specification.pdf

I have a third party SSD, not an Intel one. I expect my SSD to double the 5 year mark for endurance. Most of my active repetitive RW I/O is directed to my hard disk. for example:
    I have one hard disk titled scratch I redirect may directories to it
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   12 May 10 18:40  bin
    drwxr-xr-x. 4 leslie leslie 4096 May 12 01:45 'Calibre Library'
    drwxr-xr-x. 2 leslie leslie 4096 May 10 17:53  Desktop
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   20 May 10 18:40  Development -> /scratch/Development
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   18 May 10 18:40  Documents -> /scratch/Documents
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   18 May 10 18:40  Downloads -> /scratch/Downloads
    drwx------. 7 leslie leslie 4096 Mar 29 11:24  Dropbox
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   14 May 10 18:40  Music -> /scratch/Music
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   17 May 10 18:40  Pictures -> /scratch/Pictures
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   15 May 10 18:40  Public -> /scratch/Public
    -rwxr--r--. 1 leslie leslie 1802 May 10 19:09  taskbar.dconf
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   18 May 10 18:40  Templates -> /scratch/Templates
    lrwxrwxrwx. 1 leslie leslie   15 May 10 18:40  Videos -> /scratch/Videos

I also have about 20 % of the 128 gig SSD unallocated. That allows the SSD controller to have 20% extra blocks of data in it's pool to reuse.
    coupled with that extra number of blocks, I run fstrim once a week.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein

I also have about 20 % of the 128 gig SSD unallocated. That allows the SSD controller to have 20% extra blocks of data in it's pool to reuse.
    coupled with that extra number of blocks, I run fstrim once a week.
    Leaving space unallocated on the SSD is an interesting strategy, might set that up on my laptop M.2 nvme SSD.

you should consider it, most SSD vendors have a tool available to set an overprovisioning level at drive level though. for instance Crucial micron have a command line tool for linux usable with their devices. it's not very intuitive but does come with a user manual in PDF form. one other thing is that they recommend secure erasing the drive prior to changing the overprovisioning value because it will restore any lost performance. a temporary password has to be set on the drive to do that. I used hdparm to set a password and secure erase. the secure erase is done by the SSD controller itself so takes seconds to complete, not hours like an equivalent HDD erase would.

overprovisioning the proper way as described restricts the number of sectors visible to the operating system and you then don't need to worry about calculating the value again if you repartition the drive at some point.