FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

KDE - no icons in kicker menu & systemsettings, Dolphin theme changed

I'm posting here with a problem I noticed about 6 months ago on my old build, and after not using the box for those months, thought I should probably re-image to see if I could fix the problem. I've searched all over to no avail, the search has been made most difficult by the fact that all of these issues occurred at once and seem unrelated. So, here we go...

I re-imaged the box and everything was fine. After installing all the 250-some updates I was prompted to install, all my old issues came back.

The issue is multifaceted:
    - All icons in both the kicker menu and `systemsettings` are missing. On the taskbar, the icon for the kicker menu itself is also missing.
    - The system font sizes changed from 10pt to what looks like 12pt. Adjusting them in `systemsettings` has no effect.
    - Dolphin's theme is totally borked and not in line with the rest of the desktop env theming. The alternating row colors are totally off, i.e. black-on-white is normal, but white-on-black is just black-on-black. All icons are also missing.

If anyone has any clue what could have happened, I'd appreciate your insight. I've been a Fedora user for a couple years now and love it, and am a life-long KDE user. So I really would hate to ditch either but I'm at my wit's end here. Thanks in advance, and screenshots are attached (can't get one of the kicker for obvious reasons)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180516_123704.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	29607   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180516_123733.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	29608  
    Last edited by gnarlium; 16th May 2018 at 08:07 PM.

Re: KDE - no icons in kicker menu & systemsettings, Dolphin theme changed

Update: I have confirmed that when I go into System Settings -> Colors -> Application Color Scheme -> Edit Scheme -> View and change Alternate Background to be the same as Normal Background, it has no effect.

They are both set to black and dark grey, so something is clearly overriding the Alternate Background value. Changing other colors affects Dolphin normally, i.e. the changes propagate immediately upon changing theme.

I've confirmed this behavior with both Breeze and Breeze Dark themes, tho Breeze doesn't have the inane black-on-black problem, so it's at least usable.
    Last edited by gnarlium; 17th May 2018 at 07:19 PM.

Re: KDE - no icons in kicker menu & systemsettings, Dolphin theme changed

what hardware are you using? have you tried switching rendering backend in compositor settings?