FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Names in the sudoer file

I am trying to upgrade from 25 WS to 28 WS via command line.

Attempting the 1st command: sudo dnf upgrade --refresh , the response is that my user name is not in the sudoers file.

After the 3 years with 25 I'm at a loss on how to add my user name to the "sudoers" file.

Any help gratefully accepted and will be saved in my Strange Problem file.

Re: Names in the sudoer file

Code:
    # locate sudoers
    /etc/sudoers
    You add your name to the file manually (vi or visudo). But, just about all fedora releases have the wheel group added already:

Code:
    # cat sudoers |grep wheel
    ## Allows people in group wheel to run all commands
    %wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL
    # %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
    so add yourself the wheel group instead. system-config-users for ex.,

Jumping from Fedora 25 to 28... that's quite a jump. I'll be surprised if you don't end up backing-up /home, making a list of installed packages and performing a clean install.
    Last edited by beaker_; 13th May 2018 at 01:42 PM.

Re: Names in the sudoer file

Quote Originally Posted by beaker_
    Code:
    # locate sudoers
    /etc/sudoers
    You add your name to the file manually (vi or visudo). But, just about all fedora releases have the wheel group added already:

Code:
    # cat sudoers |grep wheel
    ## Allows people in group wheel to run all commands
    %wheel  ALL=(ALL)       ALL
    # %wheel        ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
    so add yourself the wheel group instead. system-config-users for ex.,

Jumping from Fedora 25 to 28... that's quite a jump. I'll be surprised if you don't end up backing-up /home, making a list of installed packages and performing a clean install.

More likely his "user" doesn't have the "wheel' group on it because at install time for Fedora 25 he didn't answer 'yes' that he wanted administrator for his user. You can test that quickly be just running "id" when logged in as the user, if there's no mention of wheel in your list of groups then that's the problem. Assuming user is 'joe'

Code:
    id
    uid=1000(joe) gid=1000(joe) groups=1000(joe)
    BTW, it's best practice in Linux now to not edit the /etc/sudoers file to add a user but rather to make a file in /etc/sudoers.d/ and put your entry in there that you would have placed in /etc/sudoers. This is because the /etc/sudoers file is a member of the 'sudo' package, suppose you edit /etc/sudoers and then later update 'sudo', your new sudoers file from the rpm will be put on disk as /etc/sudoers.rpmnew thus breaking the update until you notice and merge the two. It's more reliable to just put a file in /etc/sudoers.d/ which is "included" from /etc/sudoers:

Code:
    ## Read drop-in files from /etc/sudoers.d (the # here does not mean a comment)
    #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
    The better way would be to just add "wheel" to the user, since the %wheel line is probably already in /etc/sudoers

Code:
    usermod -aG wheel  joe
    (append group 'wheel' to the user)

I suppose "visudo" still edits /etc/sudoers directly because there might be multiple files in /etc/sudoers.d/ and it wouldn't know which to go to.

You can install the "rpmconf" package and run that occasionally:

Code:
    rpmconf -a
    that's will help you find and merge various "rpmnew" files that have made their way onto your system.
    Last edited by marko; 13th May 2018 at 06:02 PM.