FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Streaming my Fedora desktop to my Android device (VR)

Hi,

I'm sure many of you know the answer already, but in my case a whole evening of googling has not turned out to be sufficient so far :

I have recently ordered a cheap VR glass set (30$) and I'm not going to limit myself to watching 360 Youtube vids, meaning I'd very much like to be a able to stream my F28 desktop into my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 2016). I have heard of the google-remote-desktop program, but their server package is available for Deb only.... I have to point out though that I'm absolutely NOT into gaming and I'm only looking to watch videos/streams from my PC but right on my android phone using my VR glasses, I'm looking to do just that, nothing else. And I'm looking for the simplest set up, nothing fancy.

Also, I'm very new to 3d, VR and alike, so if there's a way to watch my Samsung T22C300 (1920x1080) monitor in 3d without getting bad headaches and without having to rob a bank, that would be even better and I'm strongly interested about it, but for know I can't always make sense of the info that's available on the net.

So, could anyone tell me what my options are here? Any serious suggestion appreciated, thanks in advance.

Vareg
    info deleted per Forum rules. Signatures linked to non-authorized sites will be deleted.

Re: Streaming my Fedora desktop to my Android device (VR)

Well, you could read the ffmpeg manual: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop

If you have multicasting configured, then you can stream your desktop like this:
    ffmpeg -video_size 1024x768 -framerate 25 -f x11grab -i :0.0+100,200 udp://224.0.1.2:1234

The only problem is that most people don't know what multicasting is, nevermind how to configure it. So it will likely require some more head scratching to get it to work.

Re: Streaming my Fedora desktop to my Android device (VR)

.Just adding. Try unicast instead if over wifi. Lots of examples out there as most dvb articles walk through streaming & ffmpeg ad nauseum