Nagios "Unrecognized character \\x7F; marked by <-- HERE after tatus.cgi
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Nagios "Unrecognized character \\x7F; marked by <-- HERE after tatus.cgi

Hi,
    I have a fedora27 system with nagios-4.3.4-3.fc27.x86_64 and httpd-2.4.33-5.fc27.x86_64 and am receiving the following error when trying to check the status through the web interface. I've even tried to remove the httpd.conf and nagios.conf config files then reinstalling httpd and nagios. I don't believe I've made any other changes from the default system.

Code:
    [Wed May 09 21:35:55.262659 2018] [:error] [pid 27011:tid 139780870788864] Unrecognized character \\x7F; marked by <-- HERE after sjson.cgi\n<-- HERE near column 203 at /usr/lib64/nagios/cgi-bin/statusjson.cgi line 1.\n
    [Wed May 09 21:36:06.570915 2018] [:error] [pid 26783:tid 139780742424320] Unrecognized character \\x7F; marked by <-- HERE after tatus.cgi\n<-- HERE near column 191 at /usr/lib64/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi line 1.\n
    I've done a bit of searching, and it appears apache thinks the cgi files are scripts and not executables. How can I configure apache to interpret these files properly?

Re: Nagios "Unrecognized character \\x7F; marked by <-- HERE after tatus.cgi

Perhaps the first thing to do is to ensure something has not got confused.
    What does the file command report for these executables ?

User error. Please replace user and try again

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    Perhaps the first thing to do is to ensure something has not got confused.
    What does the file command report for these executables ?
    Code:
    [root@arcade ~]# file /usr/lib64/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi
    /usr/lib64/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=98bedfe2b9ae0681f41c9f6c7a6294f644e20cc6, stripped

[root@arcade ~]# /usr/lib64/nagios/cgi-bin/status.cgi
    getcgivars(): Unsupported REQUEST_METHOD -> ''

I'm guessing you're trying to execute the CGI from a command line.
    In order to do that, you need to set the REQUEST_METHOD environment
    variable to either "GET", "HEAD", or "POST".  When using the
    GET and HEAD methods, arguments can be passed to the CGI
    by setting the "QUERY_STRING" environment variable.  If you're
    using the POST method, data is read from standard input.  Also of
    note: if you've enabled authentication in the CGIs, you must set the
    "REMOTE_USER" environment variable to be the name of the user you're
    "authenticated" as.

I've done a bit of searching, and it appears apache thinks the cgi files are scripts and not executables. How can I configure apache to interpret these files properly?
    My initial impulse is to ask if you are calling them via a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) - not Apache. For instance, I run my Cacti installation from Firefox with

Code:
    http://myServerName.com/cacti/host.php
    I expect that Nagios also runs from a web page interface (I could be wrong, though)
    Change - the only constant.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman47
    My initial impulse is to ask if you are calling them via a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) - not Apache. For instance, I run my Cacti installation from Firefox with

Code:
    http://myServerName.com/cacti/host.php
    I expect that Nagios also runs from a web page interface (I could be wrong, though)
    Yes, as I mentioned in my initial post, I'm using the web interface. Unless I misunderstood your question?

I have a very similar setup on another fedora system and am not having this problem. I've been using nagios for more than a decade, and fedora even longer.

If you have the ability to do a binary comparison of the cgi scripts between the two installations, please do so. There is the possibility that the two cgi scripts you cited in your first post may have been compromised. The 'x7f' character is the del character which suggests file corruption.
    -----
    f26 x86_64 Acer Predator G5910 Quad core Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Quote Originally Posted by jims
    If you have the ability to do a binary comparison of the cgi scripts between the two installations, please do so. There is the possibility that the two cgi scripts you cited in your first post may have been compromised. The 'x7f' character is the del character which suggests file corruption.
    I just checked and they're the same. I also completely reinstalled the nagios package.