[SOLVED] grub2: gfxterm_background and secure boot
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Angry grub2: gfxterm_background and secure boot

Hello,
    I recently installed Fedora 28 on my Dell XPS 15 9550 and everything worked fine right after the install (except for the touchpad which required a bit digging, but I eventually figured it out).
    I was also able to sign the proprietary nvidia drivers and bbswitch in order to use them with Secure Boot enabled.
    Still, there is a little problem which I can live with but I would live better if we can solve it (lol): I would like to change the grub2-efi background while keeping secure boot on.
    I did the following steps with secure boot off and it worked, this is why I'm guessing it's related to secure boot.

First, I edited /etc/default/grub and added/edited the following lines:
    Code:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=3840x2160,1280x760,auto
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=gfxterm
    GRUB_BACKGROUND=/boot/grub2/themes/fedora_flip.png
    Then I added "insmod gfxterm_background" in /ec/grub.d/00_header right after "insmod gfxterm" so that it looks like this:
    Code:
    insmod gfxterm
    insmod gfxterm_background
    And finally I generated the grub.cfg file with:
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    However, there is no "insmod gfxterm_background" in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg:
    Code:
    # cat /boot/grub2/grub.cfg | grep -i gfxterm_background
    #
    And this results in grub with the classic black background.
    Is there any way to make it work with secure boot enabled?

Thank you.
    Last edited by gbyolo; 16th May 2018 at 08:50 AM.

Re: grub2: gfxterm_background and secure boot

Contents of my /etc/default/grub. I have a custom background with color text. Try a lower resolution first to see if it works.

PHP Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="20"
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT="saved"
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU="true"
    #GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub2/themes/fedora_wall6_fixed.jpg"
    export GRUB_COLOR_NORMAL="white/black"
    export GRUB_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT="yellow/red"
    GRUB_GFXMODE="800x600" 
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Still not working. I guess it's a problem of grub2-efi-modules, maybe they're not signed?
    I tried to sign gfxterm_background.mod but still nothing.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

If Fedora is installed in UEFI mode then your working grub.cfg file is NOT in the /boot/grub2/ directory. It would be in the /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/ directory.

Here is another way to set a grub2 menu background image that does not utilize a "GRUB_BACKGROUND=" entry in your /etc/default/grub file. Works on either MBR or UEFI installs and is what I use on my Fedora desktop PC and my Fedora laptop.

You could do this with the default "system" grub theme, but any update to grub2 itself would undo your work. So I install an optional grub2 theme, in this case "starfield". Starfield installs to /usr/share/grub/themes/ directory. I then copy the entire /usr/share/grub/themes/starfield directory to /boot/grub2/themes/. I place the background image I want to use in the /boot/grub2/themes/starfield directory.

I edit the line in the /boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt file that begins with desktop-image:, replacing the "default" entry with the name of the image file I want. No path to the file is necessary if it is already in the theme directory.
    Code:
    $ sudo grep desktop /boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt
    desktop-image: "night_street.png"
    I set the default theme to use in the /etc/default/grub file:
    Code:
    GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt"
    No need for all that other gfxterm stuff, etc.
    PHP Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT="0"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rd.luks=0 vconsole.keymap=us quiet acpi_backlight=vendor"
    #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"
    And, of course, regenerate the grub.cfg file after editing the /etc/default/grub file. This method preserves your grub2 menu background over both updates to grub itself and Fedora release upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Here is another way to set a grub2 menu background image that does not utilize a "GRUB_BACKGROUND=" entry in your /etc/default/grub file. Works on either MBR or UEFI installs and is what I use on my Fedora desktop PC and my Fedora laptop.

You could do this with the default "system" grub theme, but any update to grub2 itself would undo your work. So I install an optional grub2 theme, in this case "starfield". Starfield installs to /usr/share/grub/themes/ directory. I then copy the entire /usr/share/grub/themes/starfield directory to /boot/grub2/themes/. I place the background image I want to use in the /boot/grub2/themes/starfield directory.

I edit the line in the /boot/grub2/themes/starfield/theme.txt file that begins with desktop-image:, replacing the "default" entry with the name of the image file I want. No path to the file is necessary if it is already in the theme directory.
    Code:
    Code:
    PHP Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT="0"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rd.luks=0 vconsole.keymap=us quiet acpi_backlight=vendor"
    And, of course, regenerate the grub.cfg file after editing the /etc/default/grub file. This method preserves your grub2 menu background over both updates to grub itself and Fedora release upgrades.
    Thanks,
    I'll give it a try.

If Fedora is installed in UEFI mode then your working grub.cfg file is NOT in the /boot/grub2/ directory. It would be in the /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/ directory.
    Yes you're right, I mistyped. Using /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg does not solve the problem.

Code:
    Code:
    PHP Code:
    GRUB_DEFAULT="0"
    Did it, and It solved the problem meaning that now I can see the background. However, another problem rises, which is, A black box covering about 70% of the screen as soon as I select a boot option in the grub menu.
    What I would like to have is the same layout of the default grub2, but with a custom background.
    I searched a bit and didn't find anything for removing that annoying black box, so for now I think that I'll live with no background at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gbyolo
    However, another problem rises, which is, A black box covering about 70% of the screen as soon as I select a boot option in the grub menu.
    Once you click on an OS boot option in grub, grub is finished. Grub hands over control to the bootloader of whatever it is you selected. If you picked a Fedora kernel, then what you are most likely seeing next comes from plymouth. Plymouth has several downloadable GUI themes. From F27,
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf search plymouth-theme
    Last metadata expiration check: 2:02:32 ago on Wed 16 May 2018 08:31:23 AM EDT.
    ========================================== Name Matched: plymouth-theme ===========================================
    plymouth-theme-solar.x86_64 : Plymouth "Solar" theme
    plymouth-theme-charge.x86_64 : Plymouth "Charge" plugin
    plymouth-theme-breeze.x86_64 : Breeze theme for Plymouth
    plymouth-theme-script.x86_64 : Plymouth "Script" plugin
    plymouth-theme-fade-in.x86_64 : Plymouth "Fade-In" theme
    plymouth-theme-hot-dog.noarch : Plymouth Happy Hot Dog Theme
    plymouth-theme-spinner.x86_64 : Plymouth "Spinner" theme
    plymouth-theme-spinfinity.x86_64 : Plymouth "Spinfinity" theme
    It also has the built-in "details" and "text" non-gui themes. I have been using the details theme for a long time, where you can watch everything that's being loaded in console mode, which when finished, then hands over to the login screen. Using the details theme requires removing the rhgb parm from your kernel boot parms list. You might want to try changing your plymouth theme:
    Code:
    # plymouth-set-default-theme <theme_name> -R
    The -R rebuilds your initramfs file with the new theme included in it. To see available themes,
    Code:
    $ plymouth-set-default-theme --list
    With a little work, you might be able to hack an existing gui theme and insert your own image in to use as background, or seek out a tutorial on how to create your own plymouth theme.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 16th May 2018 at 07:19 PM.

I solved it.
    I used the deepin grub2 theme took from https://github.com/linuxdeepin/deepin-grub2-themes and I changed both the font and the background. Now it works.