FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question Boot fails at GDM after upgrade from Fedora 27 to 28

I upgraded from Fedora 27 to 28 (running on an iMac with radeon graphics), and it appeared to work fine. However, on reboot, the boot sequence stalled at the message
    Code:
    Started User Manager for UID 42
    . This was an issue I had encountered before, and it was related to SELinux. So I tried the solution of
    Code:
    sudo fixfiles onboot
    , but it didn't work. I also tried the other solutions in the upgrade instructions here. Nothing.

I was able to get past the UID 42 error thru some searches that indicated setting
    Code:
    /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    to
    Code:
    WaylandEnable=false
    was a bad idea in Fedora 28, so I returned it to it's original commented state. That got me past the UID 42 error, but GDM won't launch on boot. The boot sequence ends with Started GNOME display manager....dispatcher service -- then it just stalls.

I also tried:
    1. booting a different kernel;
    2. modifying the boot stanza to include nomodeset and radeon.dpm=0 and radeon.dpm=1 and no radeon at all (here is my standard boot stanza: "root=UUID=852.... ro rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8 acpi_backlight=vendor radeon.dpm=0"); and
    3. dnf -y install kernel-devel (it was already installed, so this did nothing).

I am able to boot from the Fedora 28 install .iso and it works fine. Based on that, I'm thinking this is either a setting that worked in Fedora 27, but doesn't in Fedora 28, or something that the Fedora 28 upgrade installed that conflicts.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
    Last edited by TheRoark; 7th May 2018 at 12:23 AM.

Re: Boot fails at GDM after upgrade from Fedora 27 to 28

Hi,
    Ditto. This happend on a PC for me going from f26 to f27. Thought I would try dnf again going from f27 to f28, but same problem. Crashes on GDM, Dispacher Service. Odd thing is it hoses GDM for all Kernels on the system, even rescue. So for me only solution so far has been clean install. There's alot of info out there, and several bug reports; but so far nobody has a solution.

Upgrades work fine on my two laptops; just not on this one desktop. I'm thinking I should ditch Fedora and go to Ubuntu on that machine.

Regards,

Thanks for posting the background info. I'm kind of shocked that there isn't more attention to this in the community. It's kind of a major deal when you have to do a clean install just to upgrade. That's not going to gain many converts from other distros.

I was afraid to try the upgrade on my laptop after the desktop failure. Out of curiosity, what is the desktop and the graphics card?

Quote Originally Posted by jhearon
    Hi,
    Ditto. This happend on a PC for me going from f26 to f27. Thought I would try dnf again going from f27 to f28, but same problem. Crashes on GDM, Dispacher Service. Odd thing is it hoses GDM for all Kernels on the system, even rescue. So for me only solution so far has been clean install. There's alot of info out there, and several bug reports; but so far nobody has a solution.

Upgrades work fine on my two laptops; just not on this one desktop. I'm thinking I should ditch Fedora and go to Ubuntu on that machine.

Regards,

The desktop was:
    64-bit Intel Xeon CPU 1.86 GHz
    ATI FireGL V7200 for PCI Express x16
    Fedora27 upgrade to Fedora28 via dnf
    Gnome desktop

I figured out what caused this in my case, and it's a bit surprising. The short story is that I edited a file and it caused the problem on reboot.

The file that I edited is:
    Code:
    /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
    . The edit that I made was commenting the Pause and Scroll lock commands with
    Code:
    //
    , then adding:
    Code:
    key <PAUS> { [XF86MonBrightnessDown] }; key <SCLK> { [XF86MonBrightnessUp] };
    . I also issued this command when done editing the file:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/lib/xkb/*

I made those edits because the brightness function keys on my machine were not working after the upgrade to Fedora 28. The edits had worked in the past to assign Xorg key commands in both Ubuntu and Fedora. Apparently, something changed in both Fedora 28 (GNOME/Xorg) and Ubuntu 18.04 (GNOME/Xorg).

NOTE:
    This approach still works in Fedora 28 and Ubuntu 18.04, but you can only edit the SCLK key. You cannot edit the PAUS key!! With just the SCLK key edited as described above, the system will boot as expected and the BrightnessDown/F1 key will work as expected.

Hopefully, this helps someone else.
    Last edited by TheRoark; 20th May 2018 at 05:37 PM.

Glad you figured out your problem.

I just tried to upgrade another laptop, and it was working for a couple of boots but then starting failing in the same place...GDM dispacher service. After trying to rescue it and working in single user mode for a while, I gave up and did a clean install. Works fine now.

I'm thinking for f29 I'll try to group uninstall gnome altogether before using dnf for the upgrade. Then install gnome back after upgrade is working okay. I've lost confidence in having dnf upgrade gnome effectively. It's buggered me several times, thru several upgrades now.

Quote Originally Posted by jhearon
    I'll try to group uninstall gnome altogether
    That sounds like a recipe for a disaster, including making your system non-functional. Gnome has hooks and dependencies with large parts of the system and will uninstall many things.
    -----
    f26 x86_64 Acer Predator G5910 Quad core Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Hi,
    ...Maybe then
    rpm -e --nodeps <pkg>

Can't be any worse than having to do a clean install when GDM fails on upgrade. I agree Gnome is pervasive, and difficult to recover from once the upgrade goes bad. I've tried a number of ways to recover from this bug thru a couple of upgrades, but only a clean install seems to work effectively for me once it hits. I'd like to find a way around having to do a clean install, however.
    Thanks,

I have the same problem, upgrade with "fedora-upgrade" and now gdm no longer works. I log in in text mode and "startx" brings up the desktop. gnome-shell also works. Other login managers like sddm seem to work too.

When I try to start gdm it seems to fail and retry endlessly. In the journal I get:

May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain audit[10910]: USER_AUTH pid=10910 uid=0 auid=0 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='op=PAM:authentication grantors=pam_permit acct="gdm" e>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain audit[10910]: USER_ACCT pid=10910 uid=0 auid=0 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='op=PAM:accounting grantors=pam_permit acct="gdm" exe=">
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain audit[10910]: CRED_ACQ pid=10910 uid=0 auid=0 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_permit acct="gdm" exe="/usr>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm-launch-environment][10910]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm-launch-environment][10910]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session opened for user gdm by erik(uid=0)
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain audit[10910]: USER_START pid=10910 uid=0 auid=0 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='op=PAM:session_open grantors=pam_keyinit,pam_keyinit,>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[10913]: dbus-daemon[10915]: Cannot setup inotify for '/root/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/dbus-1/services'; error 'Permission denied'
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[10913]: dbus-daemon[10915]: [session uid=42 pid=10915] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.systemd1' requested by ':1.0' (uid=42 pid=>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[10913]: dbus-daemon[10915]: [session uid=42 pid=10915] Activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' failed: Process org.freedesktop.system>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session[10913]: Unable to register display with display manager
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm-launch-environment][10910]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session closed for user gdm
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain audit[10910]: USER_END pid=10910 uid=0 auid=0 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='op=PAM:session_close grantors=pam_keyinit,pam_keyinit,p>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain audit[10910]: CRED_DISP pid=10910 uid=0 auid=0 ses=3 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_permit acct="gdm" exe="/us>
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gsettings[10921]: Unable to open /root/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/dconf/profile/gdm: Permission denied
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gsettings[10921]: unable to open named profile (gdm): using the null configuration.
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm[10257]: GLib: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm[10257]: Child process -10913 was already dead.
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm[10257]: Child process 10910 was already dead.
    May 11 12:01:02 localhost.localdomain gdm[10257]: Unable to kill session worker process
    I have tried "dnf remove gdm" followed by "dnf install gdm" but that hasn't made any difference