Firmware update kills keyboard?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Firmware update kills keyboard?

Fedora 28 Workstation. Just installed this morning, I used the "software" application and did some updates. Along with several packages to be updated there was an offer to update usb receiver firmware. I accepted and was left with a no longer working wireless keyboard. A reboot did nothing as I couldn't even use the boot menu. The keyboard didn't work when plugged into another desktop either. The keyboard is a few months old (to me) Logitech K360. On the other hand, the wireless mouse (different receiver) still works just fine. Any thoughts?
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Re: Firmware update kills keyboard?

I presume you tried changing usb ports to see if that makes a difference.
    Did you try plugging the keyboard without the mouse?
    Did you check the Lenova website for driver news?
    Let Lenova know of the issue/ problem.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Short of using an older Logitech receiver if you have one available, I think you may need to contact Hughsie the fwupd maintainer and seemingly Logitech guru for help downgrading if possible.

this reddit thread seems to mirror your situation, there's no posted solution which is why I suggested contacting Hughsie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquesti...are_update_on/

Thanks gents. I'll have a look-see. However, the keyboard in question didn't work (post upgrade) when plugged into a desktop running CentOS 7 either.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    Thanks gents. I'll have a look-see. However, the keyboard in question didn't work (post upgrade) when plugged into a desktop running CentOS 7 either.
    It won't unfortunately, the OS it possibly will work with at present is Windows if lucky (not sure how lucky that is but any ship in a storm if it means you can re-flash and fix the receiver).

For what it is worth, this is the culprit. Later on I'l plug the receiver into a Windows 7 desktop and see what I can do with it.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

yes, that's fwupd as it appears in GNOME Software UI.

Yep, I was hit hard by that one in my previous computer, with a logithec wireless keyboard and mouse. An expert I consulted told me that a fix would require some special software applied to BIOS. Since my keyboard was already getting old, I bought a new one (Logitech K520). After that I got my current desktop and saw the software alert to upgrade. Avoiding it like hell for the time being. I ask, is there a way to disable the alert?

Quote Originally Posted by Boricua
    Yep, I was hit hard by that one in my previous computer, with a logithec wireless keyboard and mouse. An expert I consulted told me that a fix would require some special software applied to BIOS. Since my keyboard was already getting old, I bought a new one (Logitech K520). After that I got my current desktop and saw the software alert to upgrade. Avoiding it like hell for the time being. I ask, is there a way to disable the alert?
    possibly, uninstall the fwupd package. i don't know since it's not something I've come across but then I don't use Workstation. None of the other DE I've used alert me to a firmware update for my logitech unified receiver and if they did I would also ignore it.

Thanks antikythera. This is what I got:
    Code:
    [francisco@principal ~]$ sudo dnf remove fwupd
    [sudo] password for francisco: 
    Dependencies resolved.
    =====================================================================================================================================================================================================================
     Package                                                      Arch                               Version                                        Repository                                                      Size
    =====================================================================================================================================================================================================================
    Removing:
     fwupd                                                        x86_64                             1.0.6-1.fc28                                   @fedora                                                        1.9 M
    Removing dependent packages:
     fwupdate-libs                                                x86_64                             10-6.fc28                                      @fedora                                                         61 k
     gnome-software                                               x86_64                             3.28.1-1.fc28                                  @updates-testing                                               8.8 M
    Removing unused dependencies:
     PackageKit                                                   x86_64                             1.1.10-1.fc28                                  @updates-testing                                               2.6 M
     appstream-data                                               noarch                             28-7.fc28                                      @updates-testing                                                16 M
     comps-extras                                                 noarch                             24-3.fc28                                      @fedora                                                         83 k
     epiphany-runtime                                             x86_64                             1:3.28.1.1-1.fc28                              @updates-testing                                               1.8 M
     flatpak-libs                                                 x86_64                             0.11.3-1.fc28                                  @fedora                                                        775 k
     fwupd-labels                                                 x86_64                             1.0.6-1.fc28                                   @fedora                                                        1.2 M
     fwupdate-efi                                                 x86_64                             10-6.fc28                                      @fedora                                                        146 k
     gnome-menus                                                  x86_64                             3.13.3-9.fc28                                  @fedora                                                        606 k
     libsmbios                                                    x86_64                             2.4.1-2.fc28                                   @updates-testing                                               322 k
     ostree                                                       x86_64                             2018.3-2.fc28                                  @updates-testing                                               480 k
     rpmfusion-free-appstream-data                                noarch                             28-2.fc28                                      @rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                                223 k
     rpmfusion-nonfree-appstream-data                             noarch                             28-2.fc28                                      @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing                              62 k

Transaction Summary
    Remove  15 Packages

Freed space: 35 M
    Is this ok [y/N]:
    Although I do like gnome-software, I removed all of it since I mostly use command-prompt dnf for my update chores. This firmware alert bug is too nasty and too easy to apply by mistake, so better to safely avoid it until is safe again to return to the water.

I hope nothing else broke after removing all that lot, the dependencies are ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I hope nothing else broke after removing all that lot, the dependencies are ridiculous.
    So far, so good. Some of the dependencies like gnome-menus can be re-installed alone.