FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kernel update causes xorg failure

Having just updated from kernel 4.15.17 to 4.16.3 and rebooting into the new kernel, xorg refuses to start.

This is the error from Xorg.0.log:
    [ 140.177] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [ 140.177] (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [ 140.177] (EE) NVIDIA: consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [ 140.177] (EE) No devices detected.
    [ 140.177] (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    [ 140.177] (EE) no screens found(EE)

I'm running Nvidia's proprietary driver and I've blacklisted nouveau both in modprobe.d as well as in the kernel commandline in grub.

I'm assuming the proprietary driver is to blame here, I'm just not entirely certain why and what to do about it.

Any help is appreciated :-)

Re: Kernel update causes xorg failure

Are you using the RPM Fusion Nvidia drivers? I was about to upgrade my system, but now I'm a little leery.

No I'm using the driver downloaded straight from Nvidia's page, and I installed it following these instructions:
    https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...-nvidia-guide/

However I'm going to try and remove the driver and revert to using Nouveau - I don't really use the machine for games, so the performance hit doesn't matter too much.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

Oh and btw. I'm running Fedora 27 (upgraded from 26, so not a clean installation)

Wow lots of trouble getting Nouveau restored (xorg would just go infinite loop at boot, until I added "nomodeset" in grub before booting, finally figured out it was a corrupted xorg.conf, so I restored a backup)

Anyway with Nouveau I can boot 4.16.3 just fine, so I'll leave it at that for now, and focus on getting my IOMMU setup working so I can just play games on a virtual Windows instead and not bother with the proprietary nvidia driver.

I had a similar experience trying to run OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, also with the 4.16 kernel. On my system, the Nvidia drivers are much cleaner (I use the Cinnamon desktop). I'm going to wait for Fedora 28 and see what happens.

I go with the rpmfusion one and use the akmod package

There's a beta driver out the works with kernel 4.16: https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree..._64-396.18.run. I think I'm still going to wait.

I don't really like the idea about beta drivers either, so for now I'll stick with nouveau :-) (IOMMU isn't playing nice thus far though :-( )

On my Gigabyte motherboard I have to disable the IOMMU controller or I can't get my system to even boot.

Well that part does work for me (MSI board here), my main issue is with getting the virtual machine running properly with hugepages and so forth to optimize performance. Oh and also SELinux apparently has a bug in Fedora 27 where it'll block hugepages access, so that took some time figuring out as well :-D

Quote Originally Posted by NQbbe
    Having just updated from kernel 4.15.17 to 4.16.3 and rebooting into the new kernel, xorg refuses to start.

This is the error from Xorg.0.log:
    [ 140.177] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [ 140.177] (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [ 140.177] (EE) NVIDIA: consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [ 140.177] (EE) No devices detected.
    [ 140.177] (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    [ 140.177] (EE) no screens found(EE)

I'm running Nvidia's proprietary driver and I've blacklisted nouveau both in modprobe.d as well as in the kernel commandline in grub.

I'm assuming the proprietary driver is to blame here, I'm just not entirely certain why and what to do about it.

Any help is appreciated :-)

I have the same problem, upgraded and now i cannot bootup.

The proprietary driver must be re-installed every time the kernel changes. If, however, you go with Marko's suggestion you can likely avoid that annoyance.
    Change - the only constant.

exactly, use RPM fusion and avoid a lot of trouble, but not all
    If you install from there it takes care of blacklisting nouveau etc. and if you uninstall it, it restores nouveau etc.

What made things work for me today, when updating the laptop, was to edit "/etc/default/grub" (using RPM fusion drivers)
    Changing "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" to "nvidia-drm.modeset=0"
    And then do a
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    (For EFI boot)

I had a weird bugreport (aksing for permission and froze desktop , gnome, until i gave it password ????) to read the kernel log.
    When i logged in first time after that, but next reboot was without any problems at all.

I cant remeber what i did on the desktop, something similar, but i did not get a bug report though.

--------------------------------

Alternative, you can test it by hitting "e" on boot-selection screen, on the version you want to boot.
    scroll down and edit or remove the "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" completely. Hit Ctrl + X to boot with that option.

Its only for the current boot session, and is not permanent.

PS. i have no idea what all that means, only that it works for me

For me, I've never had to do the manipulations that tux4me is going through. That said, I don't run UEFI/EFI systems so therefore I probably don't share that experience.
    Change - the only constant.

Quote Originally Posted by tux4me
    exactly, use RPM fusion and avoid a lot of trouble, but not all
    If you install from there it takes care of blacklisting nouveau etc. and if you uninstall it, it restores nouveau etc.

What made things work for me today, when updating the laptop, was to edit "/etc/default/grub" (using RPM fusion drivers)
    Changing "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" to "nvidia-drm.modeset=0"
    And then do a

(For EFI boot)

I had a weird bugreport (aksing for permission and froze desktop , gnome, until i gave it password ????) to read the kernel log.
    When i logged in first time after that, but next reboot was without any problems at all.

I cant remeber what i did on the desktop, something similar, but i did not get a bug report though.

Alternative, you can test it by hitting "e" on boot-selection screen, on the version you want to boot.
    scroll down and edit or remove the "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" completely. Hit Ctrl + X to boot with that option.

Its only for the current boot session, and is not permanent.

PS. i have no idea what all that means, only that it works for me
    I tried to install the RPMFusion nvidia drivers as soon as i reboot it goes on black screen, no matter what i try. i'm stuck at 4.15.16-300 because newer kernels are not able to boot up... What can i do ? i cannot use the Nouvau drivers because those breaks my screen brightness .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast