FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How to get Century Schoolbook font installed?

Hi.
    Century Schoolbook is my font of choice for almost all word processing with LibreOffice. In my desktop, which I have being upgrading since Fedora 26 up to 28 beta, it's installed. However, I installed F28 beta from scratch in my laptop but the font is missing. Any hints which package I need to install? Thanks in advance.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Re: How to get Century Schoolbook font installed?

moved to F28 Development
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

urw-fonts provides Century Schoolbook, next to Bookman, ITC gothic and others of the Postscript standard typefaces, see below description of package

Free good quality versions of the 35 standard PostScript(TM) fonts,
    donated under the GPL by URW++ Design and Development GmbH.

Quote Originally Posted by pindakoe
    urw-fonts provides Century Schoolbook, next to Bookman, ITC gothic and others of the Postscript standard typefaces, see below description of package

Free good quality versions of the 35 standard PostScript(TM) fonts,
    donated under the GPL by URW++ Design and Development GmbH.
    Hi pindakoe, and thanks for the info. However, I have the same urw-fonts packages installed in both my laptop and my desktop. The only urw-fonts packages not installed in both are also the same: urw-base35-fonts-devel and urw-base35-fonts-legacy, which I don't suppose provide Century Schoolbook. I also checked the All Fonts app, which in my desktop shows Century Schoolbook listed between the "Carlito, Italic" and "Comfortaa" fonts, but not in my laptop.

I found a thread that pointed to a fork of Century Schoolbook, which appears to have been removed from urw-fonts. Here's a snippet from the info for texlive-tex-gyre:
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf info texlive-tex-gyre | grep -A 2 -B 1 "URW Century Schoolbook"
                 : designed by Hermann Zapf in the 1940s). TeX Gyre Schola is
                 : based on the URW Century Schoolbook L family (which was
                 : designed by Morris Fuller Benton for the American Type
                 : Founders).
    dd_wizard

I am on F26; there urw-fonts (2.4, release 24-fc26) provides (a.o.) Century Schoolbook, see below outputs (edited for brevity):

> rpm -ql urw-fonts

/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059013l.afm
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059013l.pfb
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059016l.afm
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059016l.pfb
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059033l.afm
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059033l.pfb
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059036l.afm
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059036l.pfb
    > fc-list | grep Century
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059016l.pfb: Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059033l.pfb: Century Schoolbook L:style=Italic
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059013l.pfb: Century Schoolbook L:style=Roman
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059036l.pfb: Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold Italic
    May be double check what version of urw-fonts you have and what is in that version of urw-fonts.

I am on F26; there urw-fonts (2.4, release 24-fc26) provides (a.o.) Century Schoolbook, see below outputs (edited for brevity):

May be double check what version of urw-fonts you have and what is in that version of urw-fonts.
    I used the commands you suggested and seems to me that Century Schoolbook and urw-fonts as a package are no longer available since Fedora 27. This is what I get
    [francisco@t460s ~]$ rpm -ql urw-fonts
    package urw-fonts is not installed
    [francisco@t460s ~]$ fc-list | grep Century
    /home/francisco/.fonts/Century Schoolbook-1283240757/Century Schoolbook.ttf: Century Schoolbook:style=Regular
    The reason why I have the font in my desktop is because - and I don't recall how - I manually installed it in my /home/.fonts directory. I copied the font folder to the same location in my laptop and now it's OK.

I found the solution! Some fonts were obsoleted from urw-base35-fonts. There's a copr repo that gets them back. Do the following in a terminal window:
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf copr enable baoboa/urw-fonts-compat

$ sudo dnf install urw-fonts-compat

$ fc-list | grep -i schoolbook
    /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/c059036l.pfb: Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold Italic
    The repo is set up for fc27, fc28, and rawhide.

Enjoy,
    dd_wizard

Thanks, dd_wizard. However, there is something odd here. I installed urw-fonts-compat as suggested and now Century Schoolbook shows off:
    Code:
    In fact this is Century Schoolbook L, as also shown by the Fonts app. The problem is LibreOffice does not see it. I removed my local .fonts directory and rebooted my desktop just in case, but remains missing .

I just checked and have the same, i.e. urw-fonts installed, Century Schoolbook showing in most places, but not in LibreOffice. A quick search confirmed that LibreOffice no longer supports Type1 fonts.

I just checked and have the same, i.e. urw-fonts installed, Century Schoolbook showing in most places, but not in LibreOffice. A quick search confirmed that LibreOffice no longer supports Type1 fonts.
    I see. This has more to do with LibreOffice than Fedora. Until I find a suitable replacement, I will keep a set of Century Schoolbook in my .fonts local directory.