FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Lost both wifi and wired connection in both Ubuntu and Fedora

I have been using both Ubuntu and Fedora for the last six months without any issues. After coming from work today, I see there is no internet connection, wired or wifi both in Fedora and Ubuntu, but on Windows works fine. I have searched and searched through forums, nothing helped. Have tried previous kernels and recoveries to no avail. Here are outputs of some commands suggested...

lshw -C network

*-network
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM43227 802.11b/g/n
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=bcma-pci-bridge latency=0
    resources: irq:17 memory:d1800000-d1803fff

ifconfig -a

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
    RX packets:836 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:836 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:62112 (62.1 KB) TX bytes:62112 (62.1 KB)

lspci | grep -i network

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n

lsmod | grep -i b43

b43 417792 0
    mac80211 782336 1 b43
    cfg80211 614400 2 b43,mac80211
    ssb 57344 1 b43
    bcma 57344 1 b43

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Lost both wifi and wired connection in both Ubuntu and Fedora

Again, thank you for support! I will definitely recommend you now!

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Sarcasm aside, I would guess you tried rebooting your modem? And, by the way, we're here to help as we have the time and knowledge, not a paid service! It also might help others who check this out to know if Windows and the two distros are operating on the same machine.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Of course, the same machine. I am really surprised at the amount of non-help from three different linux-based forums. I have lost two days struggling with this and now I am behind on my schedule. I assume you are not a paid service, but I also assume forums exist for a reason, and that people replying do have some gain from it. Anyway... Finally, I realized it must be a malfuction in the NIC, as Windows automatically rerouted to my Wi-Fi, and drivers on both Fedora and Ubuntu (for wireless) were not (properly) installed. That is, ethernet is not working, wifi is (and only on Windows). Although I somehow recall being able to connect to wifi on both systems, but it might be some malfunction really. However, you can be of help. :-) As I have painstakingly succeeded to get wi-fi working on Ubuntu, now I have to do the same on Fedora. So, how can I install Broadcom 43227 wl drivers without Internet connection? :-) Here is result of uname -r ... 4.15.17-300.fc27.x86_64 If anybody can help, because doing these things myself is a real pain.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Man, I wish I had your answer, but it sounds like you're dealing with broken parts at a minimum. Assuming you've got both rpmfusion's installed, this link might give you some answer: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...i-doesnt-work/ Now, you've got Ubuntu working, so you can actually go to the RPMFusion site and download the mentioned packages (with the right version), then go into Fedora, find them in Ubuntu (or copy them to a pendrive from Ubuntu and copy to Fedora), and try to install with dnf. See if you get anywhere.

Frankly, there are bound to be members who can give you better instructions, but you'll have to be patient and decent to them. Also, Ask Fedora is another forum that's the official one for FedoraProject, so it sure wouldn't hurt to join and ask the question there.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Yeah, it will be easier to buy an ethernet adapter. :-)

The forums are generally worse than croatian bureaucracy and I avoid both as much as I can. It is not only about being nice, but "demanding respect", as if those who know more are like big boss gangsters and we have to bow down. I won't, I can get around myself, I will just waste more time (preferred choice). I was a teacher in school for seven years, and I will never understand that kind of attitude. Had a lot of bad students (a lot), but if you're there to teach, you can teach and get respect at the same time, just by being understanding and fair.

Linux community is a myth today if you ask me, I'm a software developer (also), so I know what matters - it is the will of few corporations and powerful investors, not the casual user and somebody who wants to learn. But I am too much of a masochist, I love things that torture me - Linux and Haskell combo.

Anyway, thank you for your help and for actually responding to my inquiry. :-) Hope I will never have to use any (Linux) forum again, but you never know. :-)

Check out my thread on Broadcom here: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...ot-it-working-!
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Quote Originally Posted by jickso
    The forums are generally worse than croatian bureaucracy and I avoid both as much as I can. It is not only about being nice, but "demanding respect",
    I don't find this Fedora forum to be elitist -- and the contributors are not at all arrogant. I also find that if one wants respect, one has to be respectful himself.

I know it's frustrating when nobody replies but it's certainly not down to anyone here having a lack of respect. everyone is treated the same here regardless of knowledge level or how long they've been a member.

the reason nobody answers a thread here is normally because they don't know the answer. it may take some time for someone with a solution to see and answer your thread.

it's nothing to do with arrogance or attitude issues, if there isn't sufficient information to go on, someone will typically post and request more if they have any clue to suggestions that may help based on some further information.

please take on board donatom's constructive comment about respect. posting sarcastic remarks about the lack of replies, or posts that make such unfounded generalisations about a forum and it's members are not exactly respectful behaviour, which of course doesn't inspire people to help.

I'll admit that there are Linux forums that expect people to kowtow to the established in group (I've been banned from one simply for pointing out that a reply ignored things I'd put into the question.) but this isn't one of them. You do, however, need a little bit of patience, because members come here at random times and it may be that the one person who knows how to help you hasn't had time to look over the new questions yet. And, as far as "respect" goes, if you treat the other members of this forum the way you'd want them to treat you, nobody's going to complain about your conduct.
    Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.