KVM/QEMU vs. VirtualBox -> VirtualBox for now at least
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

KVM/QEMU vs. VirtualBox -> VirtualBox for now at least

Hi guys,

I have a few high load servers which are being converted to virtual machines running on a few "master" servers, both for security and also for organizational reasons.

after much testing, I have to say that I much prefer VirtualBox "for the moment".

1. Networking: VBox is A LOT EASIER, in QEMU the miles vary greatly, sometimes a Guest will come up with some interface up, sometimes not, prompting emergency procedures OMG OMG sweat sweat, customers calling p'ed off. Also bridging is a loooot harder on KVM/QEMU. Vbox does it automagically as long as your host has bridging already working. Also, in Vbox you can just add IP's to an interface using the command line or the nm-connection-editor, in KVM/QEMU you need to configure a fully new interface in virt-manager, and the problem is, next reboot it will most probably have a different name, i.e. , it changes from en10 to enp0s4 to other random lunacy.

2. Shared folders. The Virtio is OK in KVM/QEMU, but since I was forced to move this new Epyc Server to CentOS 7.4, then the older KVM/QEMU still has no shared folders available.

3. I have compared an exact version of a server, both in VBox and QEMU, and I can say that the speed difference is negligible, at least for web serving, with some php apps, postgres connections to a remote server, and a lot of NFS mounts. I have not used any guest as a postgres database server, and probably never will.

So, until my Epyc server runs Fedora (which would give me a newer QEMU), I am staying with VBox.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Re: KVM/QEMU vs. VirtualBox -> VirtualBox for now at least

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I have used VirtualBox but only years ago, and it was on my Windows workstation. I have used qemu/virt-manager but didn't need to manipulate nics after initially building a vm.

About shared folders, yeah, I've never looked at that either in kvm. I have mounted up disks of powered-off machines or just used network shares for swapping files.

I have been happily using qemu/kvm for years. I tried virtualbox on occasion and wasn't happy with the performance and especially didn't like the fact that it is not open-source (I believe Ellison took it over from Sun Microsystems along with openoffice and java neither of which is widely used anymore among Linux users).

https://www.virtualbox.org/ indicates that it is open-source under GPLv2. That being said, I don't like touching stuff associated with Oracle/Ellison either!

Quote Originally Posted by bgstack15
    I don't like touching stuff associated with Oracle/Ellison either!
    I hearya bro, same here. I have been a Unix guy since AT&T system V 3.0 on old 286's, then on Interactive Unix which ended up being Solaris X86, and all was fine till Sun screwed the pooch with Java, which was the beginning of the end of the dotcoms, as nothing worked properly, OOP is not meant for online servers, as you need to assume that all connections are broken, and OOP can't deal with that, ends up taking up all ram and lockup is inevitable. (I remember trying to buy my Vaio online, until the final "buy" button came back with Java Lang Out Of Memory Error .. loool,. they lost 2000 Euros right there, the submentals).
    but I digress.

Quick update on this issue:

the one GOOD thing in KVM/QEMU is that you are able to "emulate" a different CPU, i.e. on an AMD Epyc server, I am emulating an Intel Nehalem, and voilla some software which was compiled with the Intel compiler suddenly "WORKS".

Unfortunately you are not able to do this on VirtualBox (at least that I know).

So, let's chalk one up for KVM/QEMU on this issue.