FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Are diagnostic cards really useful

Hi Friends,

I often watch YouTube video that help troubleshoot my PC, but recently I have been watching some videos that show how to repair a motherboard. Sometimes the technicians seem to use some sort of diagnostic cards to figure out what part on the motherboard is faulty. Is it worth buying these cards if I want to learn some basic motherboard related diagnostics? Are these cards 100% reliable? Can a motherboard be repaired at home if the fault is not that big? If yes, what tools one should buy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G-Y4hWfhq4

https://www.amazon.in/Technotech-Dia...iagnostic+card

This video shows some chip level repairing I guess, is this type of machine called a reballing machine or something else? Service centers must be using them to repair chips on the PC's motherboard, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6iGqyBsHxQ

Thanks.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Re: Are diagnostic cards really useful

Any suggestions, guys? Thanks

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

1: You really aren't going to be able to do much motherboard repair without a rework station. You might be able to get by with one of the cheaper ones, but you would still be looking at US$50 - 100. Expensive ones can be several thousand.

I had good luck a few years back replacing the capacitors on a motherboard (back during the "bad capacitor" saga which hit several motherboard manufacturers) but other than that, most stuff on the motherboard is the SMD stuff that requires a rework station. You might get lucky a time or two replacing SMD components without a rework station, but on something with as many components as a motherboard, you would have to be very very careful or you will muck it up.

The reballing machine would only be needed for the BGA chips, and there are combination reballing/rework stations out there.

Chances are, by the time you did the diagnostics to determine the faulty component, found a replacement (if even available), and the time it takes to replace the component, you could easily purchase a new motherboard.

This is one of the things that unless you are doing it on a large scale, it usually isn't worth the time. effort, and the outlay of money on the proper equipment.

Now, please don't get me wrong. I am all for saving and salvaging equipment if at all possible. I have been known to spend hours repairing a $10 item. But unless you are doing it because you really enjoy it, you probably won't find it worth your time and money.
    Why is it that all of the instruments seeking intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth?

Linux (Fedora) Chrome 67.0.3396.87

You really aren't going to be able to do much motherboard repair without a rework station. You might be able to get by with one of the cheaper ones, but you would still be looking at US$50 - 100. Expensive ones can be several thousand.
    OK

I had good luck a few years back replacing the capacitors on a motherboard (back during the "bad capacitor" saga which hit several motherboard manufacturers) but other than that, most stuff on the motherboard is the SMD stuff that requires a rework station. You might get lucky a time or two replacing SMD components without a rework station, but on something with as many components as a motherboard, you would have to be very very careful or you will muck it up.
    Right, but what is SMD?

The reballing machine would only be needed for the BGA chips, and there are combination reballing/rework stations out there.
    OK

Now, please don't get me wrong. I am all for saving and salvaging equipment if at all possible. I have been known to spend hours repairing a $10 item. But unless you are doing it because you really enjoy it, you probably won't find it worth your time and money.
    Yes, practically very true. Thanks a lot.