[SOLVED] UEFI Dual Boot - /boot/efi/ problem - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: UEFI Dual Boot - /boot/efi/ problem

Ok thanks and sorry for the repost, I thought that was because I closed my browser before submitting and reopen it to submit.

In your grub terminal use linux-efi (instead of linux) and initrd-efi (instead of initrd). You have an uefi boot system so you need to use slightly different commands (linux and initrd commands are used for MBR-booting systems).

Sorry, I see you figured out the correct grub commands for efi boot.
    Last edited by donatom; 2nd May 2018 at 06:29 PM.

Don't use "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg". This command is for up-dating MBR grub2 which you don't have.

Your problem may be that your /boot/efi partition has a corrupted vfat file system. Try starting up on a live fedora usb drive (you should not try this when /boot/efi is mounted) and then run
    "fsck.vfat -v -a /path-to/boot-efi directory" (the path should point to your /boot/efi partition that is used to boot Fedora).

Quote Originally Posted by Cuissedemouche
    I have one question, ecause I stopped my PC during the installation I hadn't the last part of the installation. Will there be any problem in the future ? Do I need to install some specifics things ?
    Here a list of the display information after boot loader installation that I found in a video :

Configuring installed system
    Creating users
    Generating initramfs
    Running post-installation-scripts
    This is probably why your installation didn't boot -- initramfs is needed to boot. And probably post-installation-scripts are important as well. It is surprising that you could successfully boot Fedora manually.

To take care of the missing initramfs, try this: "#dracut --regenerate-all --force". Hopefully someone can chime in to let you know what else you might need to do to fix your incomplete installation.

In any case, forget about doing a file-system check/repair on the /boot/efi partition; that almost certainly is not the problem.

I tried to boot in live fedora USB and run this :
    Code:
    #fsck.vfat -v -a /dev/sdd
    fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
    Logical sector size is zero.
    Nothing happened.

I go to my fedora partition and I figured that because the installation failed to finish, I hadn't root password, but I solve this by doing :
    Code:
    $sudo su -
    #passwd

Finally, I tried tis command :
    Code:
    #dracut --regenerate-all --force
    It runs for few seconds and finish without feedback and doesn't resolve my boot problem.

Also, I have an other question, for know I have to press my mainboard shortcut to select Fedora, when grub will be repair could I use it to select Windows even if it is in UEFI ?

Try this while you are booted into your installation: "# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg". This should update grub2 for uefi boot. You also, of course, need to create a user (and user home) which is required for a normal boot (I believe). Issue this command to create a user: "# useradd -m name-of-user" and then: "# passwd name-of-user" -- and then type your user password when asked to do so. Refer to this archlinux wiki for a complete guide to adding users to your system: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._adding_a_user

Finally, I tried tis command :
    Code:

#dracut --regenerate-all --force

It runs for few seconds and finish without feedback and doesn't resolve my boot problem.
    Check to make sure that you have initramfs in your boot directory: "# ls /boot/". I am confident that you do have an initramfs file because otherwise you would not be able to boot manually.

Ok, 3 days, my message is not here so I assume that I had a bug and that I can repost =P

So, I tried the command grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg and it worked ! The efi grub display is quite buggy but I can boot in the desire OS.
    I don't understand why you talked about adding a user.

Also, I did a fresh install with Fedora 28 because it was released few days and same problems as Fedora 27 (as expected).

Really thanks for your help !

I'm glad you got your Fedora install to boot properly.
    I don't understand why you talked about adding a user.
    You explained earlier that you had aborted the installation before it finished, so I assumed that you did not have the chance to create a user -- I guess I misunderstood.

Here is a nice archlinux wiki about efibootmanager with which you can improve/correct your efi boot menu so that it isn't so buggy:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB#efibootmgr

Oh, yes I hadn't user at the first boot, so Fedora invited me to create new one in a graphical way =D

I'll take a look to the wiki.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2