FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can one copy and paste the fedora installation into a virtual box?

Can one copy and paste the fedora installation into a virtual box?

Re: Can one copy and paste the fedora installation into a virtual box?

I just thought can I copy and paste my fedora installation onto a usb device thereby giving me the ability to test the system without the need to re-install every time when it all goes wrong?

No. You can't.

You can copy the virtual disk image back and forth. Depending on the virtual machine, you may need to detach and attach the image to the machine. For example, for VirtualBox, I use VBoxManage storageattach and closemedium commands.

PS:

After re-reading the question, it looks like you are trying to copy a real partition for backup and restore, and the usb is just a medium for backup, not an actual runnable partition.

It is feasible, as long as you copy bit by bit and restore bit by bit, from another OS run, such as DVD Live or rescue mode. Use dd command and make sure the partition is aligned properly so when you restore, it does not overwrite any other partitions nearby.

You can actually copy OS between different mediums as runnable partitions. I do this all the time whenever upgrading a hard disk, installing to external usb so I can carry it when I travel, cloning to another PC, etc. It is not as simple as just copying bit by bit, but it is doable. Since all my OS has no hard-coded network address and all partitions are referenced by LABEL rather than by UUID, and I don't use some weird hardware that requires additional drivers, it makes the transfer much simpler.
    Last edited by osce0; 14th April 2018 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchy
    No. You can't.
    :-(

??.?....?

the only way you could do it with a USB drive is via dd or clonezilla and the USB drive would have to be the same or larger capacity as your HDD. Another method would be to use rsync to backup your system state before experimenting and potentially trashing it.

I have a command I use to do a full system backup with rsync (excluding directories populated automatically by the system during each boot)

Code:
    rsync -aAXv --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} / /path/to/backup/folder
    instructions are here - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._system_backup

Thanks for the responses, I thought about testing the vbox for the upgrade process but then realised it would be using the existing drivers for the graphics, I'll see if I can copy and paste today the USB drive so as to have a testing ground for the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsubmarine
    :-(

??.?....?
    Copy pasting implies an easy peasy graphical method to do this. There is not.

I'm just thinking I can easily copy fedora to the USB but it would carry over the map of the hdd partition to it which would be inaccurate, I'll do a fresh install instead, I presume it will setup a MBR to the USB too.

well this is ridiculous, i have installed the usb writing software only to find owing to the graphics issue, i cant see that specific window! it just opens up fuzzy. Great, so now i cant test the drivers on a usb drive because i cant install to the drive at least not in fedora in the first place, would the cd let me install to the usb instead of a harddisk?

Would the cd let me install to the usb instead of a harddisk?
    Yes, it doesn't matter what the type of hard drive is, whether usb, sata, thunderbolt, firewire, etc. as long as it works like a storage device and detected as such during boot, it is treated as an installable hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by osce0
    Yes, it doesn't matter what the type of hard drive is, whether usb, sata, thunderbolt, firewire, etc. as long as it works like a storage device and detected as such during boot, it is treated as an installable hard drive.
    Thanks, I hope I can therefore use it as a testing ground for my drivers issue.

Quote Originally Posted by osce0
    Hi I just tried this with fedora 25 live disc but it response was "No valid boot loader target device found" when trying to partition it.

I decided to see what I could do in fedora in terms of reformatting the USB drive but it doesn't give me the option to??? The delete partition button is greyed out, it won't let me resize it either so as to make a new extended partition and a swap so what's with that?

reformatting the USB drive but it doesn't give me the option to?
    It may also depend on how it was detected in BIOS/UEFI. Check your bios boot settings. The best option is to let Fedora repartition the whole USB the way it deems proper, then start from there. This will at least give enough boot partitions to tinker with. One sure way to clean out the USB is to zero out the first few sectors, like using dd if=/dev/zero of=YOURUSBDEVICE bs=1024 count=2. This will make sure any partitioning tool is not confused.

Make sure to backup any data you don't want lost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast