Firefox 59 and youtube CPU usage
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question Firefox 59 and youtube CPU usage

Does anyone have a problem with Firefox using large CPU when watching youtube?

I saw in a review of Firefox Quantum on youtube by quidsup, when he watched a 4K youtube video, Firefox only used 2% CPU. But when I watch a normal 1080p60 video, my CPU usage is much much higher (Web Content goes to 110% and Firefox goes to 20%). I've tried h264ify to force youtube to play H264 and its still the same problem. I have a GTX1050Ti and Ryzen 5 1600, so surely it can't be that bad.

Is there some special setup that I am not aware of? Hardware-decoding setting somewhere?
    QuantumKnot - originator of the "Verne" release name (possibly the last 'normal' release name) :)

Re: Firefox 59 and youtube CPU usage

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumKnot
    Does anyone have a problem with Firefox using large CPU when watching youtube?

I saw in a review of Firefox Quantum on youtube by quidsup, when he watched a 4K youtube video, Firefox only used 2% CPU. But when I watch a normal 1080p60 video, my CPU usage is much much higher (Web Content goes to 110% and Firefox goes to 20%). I've tried h264ify to force youtube to play H264 and its still the same problem. I have a GTX1050Ti and Ryzen 5 1600, so surely it can't be that bad.

Is there some special setup that I am not aware of? Hardware-decoding setting somewhere?
    Maybe you are using nouveau and the person with low cpu used the closed nvidia driver

Unfortunately I'm using the closed nvidia driver as well.
    QuantumKnot - originator of the "Verne" release name (possibly the last 'normal' release name) :)

I have the same problem but with Facebook. I just open Facebook then Web Content's cpu usage is suddenly high and laptop fan goes crazy. I'm using closed nvidia driver.