unable to download and/or extract large zip file
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

unable to download and/or extract large zip file

Hi, I am using android studio to download an android system image on fedora 27, but its fails. When I try to do it manually, I get an error: "no space left on device".

Here is what I get when running df -h right after the download fails:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev
    tmpfs 3.9G 27M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 3.9G 2.1M 3.9G 1% /run
    tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/fedora_ttyrovou-root 49G 17G 31G 36% /
    tmpfs 3.9G 3.9G 1.9M 100% /tmp
    /dev/sda2 976M 179M 731M 20% /boot
    /dev/sda1 200M 11M 189M 6% /boot/efi
    /dev/mapper/fedora_ttyrovou-home 411G 19G 372G 5% /home
    tmpfs 786M 16K 786M 1% /run/user/42
    tmpfs 786M 6.8M 779M 1% /run/user/1000

and after reboot:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /dev
    tmpfs 3.9G 23M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 3.9G 2.1M 3.9G 1% /run
    tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/fedora_ttyrovou-root 49G 17G 31G 36% /
    tmpfs 3.9G 152K 3.9G 1% /tmp
    /dev/sda2 976M 179M 731M 20% /boot
    /dev/sda1 200M 11M 189M 6% /boot/efi
    /dev/mapper/fedora_ttyrovou-home 411G 19G 372G 5% /home
    tmpfs 786M 16K 786M 1% /run/user/42
    tmpfs 786M 5.7M 780M 1% /run/user/1000

Notice the difference in the /tmp partition. Can anyone help? I just started using linux so I may not understand obvious things.

Re: unable to download and/or extract large zip file

It would appear that the download is being placed onto /tmp which is not big enough to hold the file.
    You need to save the file to your home directory.

(I am not familiar with android studio and you have not given much info on what you are doing to manually download so that is about as much as I can say.)

User error. Please replace user and try again

I tried to move the zip to the appropriate folder (in home) and then extracting it there and it worked (it did not work when I selected extract to.. and then select the desired folder). Two more things:

1. The folder in the end was 3.4GB. It should have been able to fit in /temp...
    2. If I don't want to do this all the time, is there a way to increase the partition on /temp by a bit? Else, I hope android studio offers customization on where to download packages

Quote Originally Posted by oogee
    2. If I don't want to do this all the time, is there a way to increase the partition on /temp by a bit? Else, I hope android studio offers customization on where to download packages
    /tmp directory is not used for normal user temporary space. It is not a normal file system stored on a disk, but memory-resident tmpfs structure. More details in wikipedia.

You can use /var/tmp for normal user temp space, or create your own tmp directory in your home space like ~/tmp. Or just use ~/Downloads directory.

Some applications can detect an environment variable TMPDIR or TEMPDIR (check your application) which you can change to point to your temp directory so that it won't use /tmp.

If you are using Android Studio to extract zip files, you can specify the temp directory to use using java VM option -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/tmp (edit bin/studio*.vmoptions file)

But if you have control, don't use /tmp for extracting files.
    Last edited by osce0; 14th April 2018 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oogee
    I tried to move the zip to the appropriate folder (in home) and then extracting it there and it worked (it did not work when I selected extract to.. and then select the desired folder). Two more things:

Fedora backs the /tmp on your RAM with tmpfs the reason why your /tmp size is 4G is because it defaults to 1/2 the ram size, so I assume your computer has 8G of ram.
    If you just make the size whatever you want in /etc/fstab, it will honor that:
    Code:
    none /tmp tmpfs   size=#G 0 0
    and replace the # with the number of GB you want on /tmp but the problem is, if you go too big like 8G which is equal
    your ram you can run out if you get a huge file (8GB file for example). You can just
    "systemctl mask tmp.mount"
    then the /tmp will end up on your / real hard disk. But I think that will then prevent the systemd tmp timer from cleaning the /tmp (systemd does that on top of the full clean up you get due to bootup since the tmpfs disappears)
    There's probably a way to resolve all that and get /tmp on real disk and have the timed clean up but I'm not sure right now how to set that up.