[SOLVED] Want to setup a Fedora server on the local network
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Want to setup a Fedora server on the local network

I've never set up or maintained any kind of server before. I want to set up a server on the local network (not the internet) to serve documents to the local users. All the PCs on the local network run Fedora Workstation. I suppose I could put them in the public folder of one of the machines, but I don't want to bother the users with another login to the share or having to be sure the owner of the share is logged in. Also I want to get some experience with setting up and maintaining a server on a dedicated machine. It would be great if I could set up the local machines so they mount the servers directories and the User's PCs can access the directories and files on the server with nautilus.

Is there a website that will help me get started with the installation and set up? Since the local network is connected to the internet, I need to understand how to secure the server so internet users do not have access to the documents. I've been told that for this part it might be helpful for you to know that all the IP addresses on the local network start with 192.
    Have a Great Day!

Re: Want to setup a Fedora server on the local network

For some reason Fedora's documentation doesn't cover NFS very well. If you don't need to mix in Windows machines NFS is the simplest way to go. Its already built in to the Fedora installations.

Use this for the server setup ( you shouldn't need to worry about modifying "idmapd.conf" in the setup you describe.
    https://www.server-world.info/en/not...edora_27&p=nfs

This gives you info for the client:

https://www.server-world.info/en/not...a_27&p=nfs&f=2

I would not follow their example of using the "/home" directory. Create a directory like "/NAS" or other name of your choice. Their example overlays your home directory with the NFS files.

Do you have a router/firewall for your network connect to your ISP? If so just don't open any NFS service ports on the network gateway router/firewall.

PS... This might be a better example.

https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linu...fedora-22.html
    Last edited by Kobuck; 13th April 2018 at 07:28 PM.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc29.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc29.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc29.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

First rule : set up static ip address on server
    For file server :
    i could not set up NFS on my fedora : i confirm there is a lack of doc.
    Try ssh server : the simpliest because you could access by a ssh client on a file manager (speed network good)
    Or
    Samba server : must configure a file text (speed network low )

the nfs setup is ultra trivial actually, 3 steps
    1. as root create /etc/exports text file with the contents:
    /FOLDER_TO_SHARE 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_root_squash) (or whatever your internal net IP range maybe)
    2. as root type: exportfs -a
    3. as root type: systemctl restart nfs

done.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

May also need to set firewalld to allow the NFS server (TCP 2049)
    QuantumKnot - originator of the "Verne" release name (possibly the last 'normal' release name) :)

Quote Originally Posted by TablePC
    Is there a website that will help me get started with the installation and set up?
    I found that the best way to learn in an efficient manner is not to scour through the Internet, but get good technical books on the subject, and follow thru the instructions in the book.

Internet is good for finding fast answers to issues that you encounter when you know what you are looking for, but doesn't seem to be a good source for structured learning. Otherwise you may end up wasting more time going through various unnecessary directions to learn something, unless that's exactly what you want.

I don't have a good source of books (all my sources are pretty old by now) but I'm sure there are reviews of good books on the Internet.

The arch linux wiki has excellent articles on setting up various things in Linux. Here's the one that talks about setting up NFS. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NFS
    QuantumKnot - originator of the "Verne" release name (possibly the last 'normal' release name) :)

Thanks a lot everyone

No doubt I will stumble around some, but that's okay. My experience shows that mistakes are excellent teachers. So I think I'll try a mix of the on-line references you folks have so kindly provided and I'll also look for a book. I'll be ordering F28 disks in a few days. The place I get them has a nice assortment of books so I'll check through those while I'm at it.
    Have a Great Day!