FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F27: Uni-color stripes/bands on Plasma desktop

Hello,

My PC runs Fedora 27 kernel 4.15.15-300.fc27.x86_64. It has GeForce 6600 video card with 8 GB RAM and the latest nouveau driver. Processor is Athlon 64 with two cores. Desktop is KDE Plasma.

I noticed that there are 1-2 uni-color bands or stripes that run from the top left corner to the lower right corner of the screen. Each band gets larger as it comes towards the lower right corner. Just wondering what causes this problem. By the way, I have Windows 7 as well as openSUSE Leap, Debian 9.4 and Linux Mint 18.3 (all Linux distros have KDE desktops) in the same PC but none of these OS's have uni-color bands on their desktops.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited by taytong888; 13th April 2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: to add info

Re: F27: Uni-color stripes/bands on Plasma desktop

Additional observations:

1. When I make the mouse cursor hover on a "band", the part underneath the cursor returns to normal desktop display;

2. The KDE Launcher area shows 3 shaded areas: a small white rectangular at the lower left corner , a canary yellow triangle in the left part and a large white rectangular on the upper right corner.

Hello,
    I discovered 2 possible solutions from http://forum.kde.org, specifically the thread entitled "Troubles with Nvidia GeForce Go 6600" as started by a user named frananc dated September 17, 2013:

1. Try "kwin --replace"

Code:
    $kwin --replace

OpenGL vendor string:                   nouveau
    OpenGL renderer string:                 NV43
    OpenGL version string:                  2.1 Mesa 17.3.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    Driver:                                 Nouveau
    GPU class:                              NV40/G70
    OpenGL version:                         2.1
    GLSL version:                           1.20
    Mesa version:                           17.3.6
    Linux kernel version:                   4.15.15
    Requires strict binding:                yes
    GLSL shaders:                           limited
    Texture NPOT support:                   yes
    Virtual Machine:                        no
    kf5.kcoreaddons.desktopparser: Property type "Url" is not a known QVariant type. Found while parsing property definition for "X-KWin-Video-Url" in "/usr/share/kservicetypes5/kwineffect.desktop"
    This doesn't work!

2. ALT+SHIFT+F12

Voila!

In System Settings>Display and Monitor>rendering backend, which have you currently got KDE set to use? Your hardware supports up to OpenGL 2 but if that is in use and proving problematic switch to XRender. if that fails too turn off compositing and see if it's any better.

Hello antikythera,

This morning upon logging in I saw the bands returned. After switching to XRender they are gone.
    Thank you very kindly for your help. Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by taytong888
    Hello antikythera,

This morning upon logging in I saw the bands returned. After switching to XRender they are gone.
    Thank you very kindly for your help. Have a nice day!
    the real test will be whether it stays that way or the bands return one of the next times you log in. i don't know how it will affect display performance. I use OpenGL 3.1 with my systems because it's visually more stable than 2.0 with my Intel and AMD GPU hardware but since that isn't an option with your card it only really left XRender.

So far the bands have not returned, but if they do I would need to buy a refurbished but not too old video card (still more expensive than what is considered fair price), or try to re-use one of the two old cards I got. Ge 9600 GT showed "Input not supported" recently. Ge 7300GT showed a few color bands. I am very reluctant to re-install these 2 old cards, because in my multiboot PC, only Debian 9.4 and MS Windows 7 seem to be unaffected by changing the cards. OpenSUSE gave some sort of errors after booting.

Can you suggest any command to update initramfs in Fedora if I choose to install one of these 2 old cards without re-installing Fedora 27?
    Last edited by taytong888; 15th April 2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: fixing typos