Video re-encodeing
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Video re-encodeing

hi all im running fedora 27 with the kde deaktop on a dual core laptop with 2.9gb of ram.

i have some media that was recorded in the late 90's before everything was done in 15:9.

is there any software that i can use to re-encode the files so they will be displayed in 15:9 instead of the 4:3.

it would be helpful if it could re-encode the audio so it is not so low stops me having to fiddel with volume controls so much

i know i cant turn the picture quality into 1080p or anything but it would be nice to improve the quality if at all possible.

it sounds like a daunting task but im willing to learn im not so confident using cli is there is a application that can achieve my needs?

Re: Video re-encodeing

You are looking for a demuxer.
    May be you can use avidemux (get it from repo rpmfusion-free).
    Or projectX (get it from repo rpmfusion-free).
    Good luck.

thanks ill look into avidemux
    Last edited by yoda2016; 13th April 2018 at 05:38 PM.

There is the command line ffmpeg which is also quite popular. To increase volume, you'd use

ffmpeg -i myfile.mp4 -acodec aac -strict 2 (that part might not be necessary) -vol 512 louder. mp4

The -i is for in, -acodec means audio codec, with Fedora (I think), if you don't use the -strict 2 you'll get something like aac not fully supported use strict) the -vol is for volume, the default is 256, this doubles it, the louder.mp4 is the redone file.

In my experience, to make the volume louder, you're better off doing a re-encode of 512 twice, rather than trying something like -vol 1024 doesn't work that well. The first encode usually makes it slightly louder, the second one usually fixes it, making it loud enough for me.

For aspect ratio, I think you use

ffmpeg -i myvid.mp4 -codec copy -aspect 15:9.

I would test it on a small section. For example, to get the first 3 minutes

ffmpeg -ss 00:00:00 -i myvid.mp4 -codec copy -aspect 15:9 -t 180 out.mp4

The ss means to start seek at hours:minutes:seconds, in this case the beginning of the video. One puts -ss before the actual -i <vidname> because it's quicker, otherwise it will actually look at the video to find that time. The -codec copy means don't re-encode anything, just copy it, again this is quicker, the -t is for time in seconds.

These commands are good regardless of the format of the video, I'm using mp4 as an example, but it will work on avi, mkv, and so on.

If that aspect command doesn't work, just google ffmpeg change aspect ratio and see what other suggestions are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    There is the command line ffmpeg which is also quite popular. To increase volume, you'd use

ffmpeg -i myfile.mp4 -acodec aac -strict 2 (that part might not be necessary) -vol 512 louder. mp4

The -i is for in, -acodec means audio codec, with Fedora (I think), if you don't use the -strict 2 you'll get something like aac not fully supported use strict) the -vol is for volume, the default is 256, this doubles it, the louder.mp4 is the redone file.

In my experience, to make the volume louder, you're better off doing a re-encode of 512 twice, rather than trying something like -vol 1024 doesn't work that well. The first encode usually makes it slightly louder, the second one usually fixes it, making it loud enough for me.

For aspect ratio, I think you use

ffmpeg -i myvid.mp4 -codec copy -aspect 15:9.

I would test it on a small section. For example, to get the first 3 minutes

ffmpeg -ss 00:00:00 -i myvid.mp4 -codec copy -aspect 15:9 -t 180 out.mp4

The ss means to start seek at hours:minutes:seconds, in this case the beginning of the video. One puts -ss before the actual -i <vidname> because it's quicker, otherwise it will actually look at the video to find that time. The -codec copy means don't re-encode anything, just copy it, again this is quicker, the -t is for time in seconds.

These commands are good regardless of the format of the video, I'm using mp4 as an example, but it will work on avi, mkv, and so on.

If that aspect command doesn't work, just google ffmpeg change aspect ratio and see what other suggestions are out there.
    thanks for your input ive gotta try and bridge my laptop with my phone's wi-fi so i can access the internet via hotspots

I have a page with a lot of other information on video and dvds, if you're interested, at http://srobb.net/dvds.html

I really have to update it, though.

Hello yoda2016.

There are more ways to convert files online free for you.
    Like Those site's that give you the Option to convert your files to ANY format that you like+change the video size.
    and after you chose the format and size mark the "Very High " Option on the bottom .

https://www.files-conversion.com/video/dvd

http://www.convertfiles.com/convert/...P4-to-AVI.html

Good luck.
    FFedora

I find avidemux to be very good. It is really just a GUI front end to ffmpeg A lot easier to use than reading page after page of the cryptic parameters you need to get ffmpeg to do what you want it to do.