FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No more gnome use after upgrade

Hi I thought I'd have a go at upgrading fedora 25 to 26 using the dpf system - upgrade command, it download the packages, rebooted, installed and update a load, then cleaned, then rebooted. However when it gets to the start screen where you type the pw in it just freezes after I press enter. It didn't work by booting off the older kernel nor with the rescue mode. What can I do? I have since run the clear command but it made no difference.

Re: No more gnome use after upgrade

I thought I'd add to this I can't access the Internet I presume because it won't check for updates on gnome I thought I'd try reinstalling that particular program.

Well since the above post I upgraded via command line to fedora 27 and I have the same problem! is there a way to reinstall Linux without having to download a copy and burn to a disc?

Or maybe I should reinstall xorg in case that is causing the crash.

Well it won't let me dnf reinstall gnome it says

No match for argument gnome

But when I look on the dnf commands page it doesn't state I have to add anything else?

Wow after wasting a lot of time this morning I find this is a familiar problem amongst fedora users and to my surprise there is NO WORKING COMMAND FOR REMOVING OR REINSTALLING GNOME!!!!

How ridiculous!

Hi good to see the forum back up!

After a lot of messing around I decided to try installing the net install of fedora 27 only to find after seeing the screen clearly during installation to be presented with a fuzzy unreadable screen upon login of fedora 27 so now I have installed 25 again :-(

'Shot in the dark" - is there any chance you 'built/compiled' installations in your previous version? ALWAYS a 'game changer'.
    Change - the only constant.

No, I've just installed them cleanly and always saved data on a separate partition, that way the only thing I need to save when it hits the fan is the Firefox bookmarks file...

The package is not called "Gnome", hence the fail. I am not a Fedora user any more, so I don't know the current package name. Perhaps someone else will jump in with more up to date info.

Well I don't understand why this is like the third time I've seen Linux install a system with a gui installation menu just to give you a system with such gui settings you can no longer see anything?? Why isn't it just using the same settings as the installation menu???

During the install, did you SELECT a GUI installation? It is NOT the default.

I feel your pain but as 'GUI dependents' we are few - I'm slowly learning how much GUI doesn't do.

;-)

Yes it was installed with gnome as a normal fedora workstation, the login screen itself was fine it's just after login it went bad

OK -
    I am not running Fedora; I run CentOS 7 which uses 'yum' so any suggestions may be worthless. If I wanted to reinstall Gnome, I'd use:

Code:
    sudo yum reinstall \*gnome\*

I'd expect you'd substitute 'dnf' for 'yum', but don't hold me to that. The sweet part about reinstall is that it only RE-installs (from the repos) the packages already on your system!

[Recently re-installed my entire laptop to correct inadvertent permission changes while editing as root - am much more careful now, heh].
    Last edited by lightman47; 12th April 2018 at 05:48 PM.

Hang on - after reviewing some of your other posts I noted you have an Nvidia graphics card - is this the same machine? If so, once you solve the video driver problem for the card, I suspect a lot of your problems are going to go away, including THIS one.

Suspicion: You installed Nvidia's proprietary driver for the previous Fedora version. If so, it needs to be re-installed EVERY time the kernel changes. When you did the upgrade, the kernel changed! Sound about right?

If so, there MAY be an 'automatic' way to keep your Nvidia card drivers 'up to date'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast