Repeated kernel oops on hybrid graphics notebook
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Repeated kernel oops on hybrid graphics notebook

I deleted another post a couple of days ago because I didn't have any description other than my system was freezing at login. I have more solid information, now.

I booted to a system console and found the crashes in the journal. I searched for several hours before finding the very similar Redhat bug 1478219. I tried the workaround of amdgpu.dpm=0 from that bug, and my system works, perfectly. That setting seems to disable power management for the AMD R7 discrete card.

So, if anyone else is having the same issue, I hope this can help them. I also hope someone is working to fix the bug.

Tim

Re: Repeated kernel oops on hybrid graphics notebook

I had something similar when I simply booted the beta 1-3 ISO with my AMD Athlon APU with integrated R3 graphics. that uses the radeon driver rather than the amdgpu one though.

the panic (and consequent complete system lockup) happened with mine during the system shutting down.

using a fairly early release candidate of a kernel for a beta release wasn't the greatest decision ever made was it? (rhetorical, don't answer)

It was crashing at shutdown about 50% of the times on Fedora 27, but started doing it at login on Fedora 28. It is much more annoying when it crashes before you can use it than after you have finished.

Tim

With this morning's kernel upgrade (to 4.16.1), it is a little better but it still gives the same crash if I don't use amdgpu.dpm=0.

I have identified a kernel patch that is in the works for the problem I'm having. I hope it is included in a release kernel version, soon.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=137324

Tim

I'm now on kernel 4.16.2. Still no resolution. I can't believe there aren't a lot of people affected by this. Maybe it's just my particular AMD card?

I did find somewhat of an argument between Linux and the AMD devs about how these drivers are developed and integrated into the kernel. The AMD devs seem to resent some of the Linux requirements, and they may be dragging out their responses to bugs. They also say AMD doesn't give them enough resources to fully support Linux development.

Also, I found up-to-date, supported drivers for my and many other AMD cards for Redhat and CentOS, but not Fedora. I wonder what would happen if I tried to install them on Fedora. But not enough to risk my system.

Tim
    Last edited by tim8723; 17th April 2018 at 04:27 PM.