FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora on a Laptop

Hi,

Been unhappy with Windows 10 for a while and have finished looking at what software I run and have either found replacements for Linux that do what I need or running apps on the phone (e.g. Harmony App on my Mobile instead of using the Windows Apps) so I am now in a position to move to Linux and need some thoughts on Laptops.

The 2 Laptops I have been looking at are:
    HP Spectre x360 15-bl101na
    Dell XPS 15 9560

Anyone who has used either of these I am after any major issues they have had or anything that is needed to know during setup.

Also are there any other Laptops anyone can recommend (they need to have 4k screens with 500gb+ SSDs & 8-16gb of Ram)

Thanks,

Gavin,

Re: Fedora on a Laptop

According to an Archlinux wiki (Archlinux has among the best wikis on the web), the Dell XPS 15 9560 runs Linux with few problems. Here is the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560 On another Archlinux wiki, they state that the HP Spectre x360 (it wasn't the exact model that you listed) runs quite well.

I personally have neither of these laptops, but I have installed Fedora on 3 HP Pavilion (and other) laptops and had no problem getting everything to work.

I have an HP Spectre x360, Skylake, with an embedded Intel video card, older version than the one you mentioned. I am running F27 at the moment and all in all I am very happy with it. Even some sensor's problems/bugs have been fixed with the latest kernel. I would recommend to focus on performance of the NVIDIA video card and the 4K monitors on Fedora, don't bother with the other features, probably they will work out of the box. So, you'd better wait for someone here to express his opinion on similar/same hardware performance experience, and search for reviews focused on these, since, from my experience, they are the most problematic/main drawback, if any.

KF

all of my 10 sony vaios, oldest from around 1996, are all on fedora. and still work.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

VAIO is no longer a Sony concern and only available in certain countries of the world unfortunately. under Sony ownership they made some decent laptops over the years.

VAIO corperation is an entirely different business who paid to use the brand name

Do you deliver outside of the United States?
    At this time, we only ship within the contiguous US states, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Fujitsu notebooks work well with linux as they tend to use Intel hardware down to the wireless adaptors as well

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    VAIO is no longer a Sony concern and only available in certain countries of the world unfortunately. under Sony ownership they made some decent laptops over the years.

VAIO corperation is an entirely different business who paid to use the brand name
    Although I most definitely second your choice of Fujitsu equipment (they make the only server hard drives that last a long time), you need to know that the new "Vaio" is still made by the same people, the "business" was just sold to J.I.P. in 2014, based in Nagano, and they continue to build good japanese equipment. Although some models are invariably built in cheap-slave-territories, the high-end models are still all built in Japan, and I plan to go get myself one in about 10 days, to replace my aging Vaio Z (bought in 2014).
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"