dnfdragora - what and why
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

dnfdragora - what and why

Over the last week, I have been seeing a huge number of messages like
    dnfdracora - 19 updates available (not actual message, but I am not looking at one now)
    Just after a full "dnf update" - I got another with 3 updates available for this dnfdracora thing.

So this appears to be a front end to dnf. Sounds interesting.
    I run dnf often to load new packeages and even more often to update my fedora release (all).

Should I install this product? If so, why?

And WHY the heck all the recent messages (never saw before; and not installed here)??????

Thanks to all.

Re: dnfdracora - what and why

Hi RH
    It's dnfdragora, just to correct a typo

Most Linux graphical interfaces provide a way to list and manage applications in a graphical manner. In the past, Fedora used yum. Historically, and to this day, the list of repositories from which a user can do downloads is maintained in /etc/yum.repos.d
    Yum was a precursor to dnfdragora. You could list individual programs or applications, and yes, even do application installations.
    dnfdgragora uses the same libraries as dnf, the command line utility. If you start dnfdragora, the dnf program will wait and vice-versa

What is nice about dnfdgragora is that you can read all recorded comments about a program before choosing to do the program's installation.
    Not so with dnf.
    dnf allows you to also correct errors that may occur (skipped installs due to incompleteness, and some other error correction tools, such as downgrade, --best --allowerasing.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    What is nice about dnfdragora is that you can read all recorded comments about a program before choosing to do the program's installation.
    Not so with dnf.
    dnf allows you to also correct errors that may occur (skipped installs due to incompleteness, and some other error correction tools, such as downgrade, --best --allowerasing.
    [/B]
    You actually can see all the same comments with dnf, the advantage of dnfdragora is you don't have to deal with the arcane option flags

i always deinstall it, in fact I tend to deinstall the following right after any install:
    tracker
    baloo
    dnfdragora
    - if I could deinstall polkit I would too, but it's managed to seep itself into everywhere.

As a programmer, the last thing I want is an unexpected popup to distract me from a train of thought.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

OK, thanks. It lets you preview. Great. I am not sure but it might be a graphical interface too.
    However it appears to have 3 chucks only one of which is a graphical interface. If the graphical interface lets you preview AND see what is out there, it might be great. I note that bobx001 was not in love with it. Leslie also said dnf let you fix a problem, but left off if dnfdragora did that too.

>dnfdragora.noarch 1.0.1-9.git20180108.b0e8a66.fc26
    >dnfdragora-updater.noarch 1.0.1-9.git20180108.b0e8a66.fc26
    >dnfdragora-gui.noarch 1.0.1-5.git20170505.2a3b056.fc26

Its always nice to have a graphical overview, when in special need ...... but its a stupid construction. all the ones before it, was poor too.

I just installed Fedora on a RPI and it takes about 30 min for dnfdragora to just start, as the "programmer" ? have the idea of loading all package information every time,
    and you cant stop and close it.
    It takes less than a minute to open a terminal and type "sudo dnf install ....." (on a RPI = very slow computer)

And the Gnome Software installation GUI, if you use GNOME desktop, wants to reboot if you install anything :/

All that said, you DO get some nice info on every package , websites github and like, so i DO use dnfdragora once in a while.
    Im tired of all the popups too, way to much, and theres even no timeout on it, but i guess i just have to turn it off, and then that feature is wasted (all things with moderation hehe)

I only use dnf in the terminal to install, remove, search, clean. It is easy and quick. Dragora I believe IS good for the novice Linux user, since it reminds him to keep his system up-to-date, but I upgrade every day, so for me -- and I would imagine many other Fedora users -- it is not that useful.

dnfdragora has a configuration option to allow you to set how often it checks for updates. I have mine set to check once per day. Its pretty good that way.
    For example, it checked this AM early, but since some 6 hours have passed, I clicked to see what's up and it had rechecked.
    Leslie in Montreal

yes, but not to disable the updater or prevent the GUI from updating all packages etc.

In Gnome 3 , there is no easy way to see what programs are started at login time, and if not provided in the application "settings", normal people are left in the dark.
    (its not in ".config/autostart")

You actually have to figure out that its called "dnfdaemon" and then you have to know about systemctl ....... imo thats poor software.

And having a "help" button , that pops up a windows saying "not implemented yet" is making me laugh

sudo systemctl stop dnfdaemon
    sudo systemctl disable dnfdaemon
    I love all the work people are putting into any open source software, dont get me wrong, but "GUI" developers on Linux are as lazy as i am

And as a note .... its not wise to be tooooo quick updating Fedora, if there is no problems, especially if you are a nVidia user
    (wait a day so fixes are made lol)

Dnfdgragora allows you to check none, check all or select items you wish to install from the presented list.
    Leslie in Montreal

Re: dnfdragora - what and why

By the way, dnfdragora 1.0.1-10.git20180108.b0e8a66.fc28 noarch is not updating the contents of its window while the software is downloading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dnfdragora.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	29604

that's been like that for as long as I can recall justina

Linux Firefox 60.0

I used yum and yumex in F27 but in since F28 it no longer works. Trying to install or update anything gives an error, so I went back to dnfdragora. It worked OK until this morning on my desktop machine, when it downloaded 53 packages and promptly crashed. As far as I know there is no way to make dnf complete a transaction like you can with yum, so I have 53 packages in limbo somewhere, that don't show as updates in a terminal. Any suggestions appreciated.
    I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 60.0

instead of yum - use dnf the same way -

sudo dnf update

dnfdragora is a tool above, so that too is fine

Linux Chrome 61.0.3163.140

@ SomeDamFool

Then I downloaded yumex rpm for F27(https://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject....0725189-yumex/), I installed it and it works very well in F28 (without installing raveit65 repo)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast