Lost the touchpad
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Lost the touchpad

I am running Fedora 27 with the most recent updates on an Acer laptop. I was not happy with the touchpad sensitivity, and reinstalled the synaptics-legacy driver. It was my understanding that -after a reboot- synaptics would take over, and everything be fine. However, the system completely lost the touchpad - it is not listed any more, and I don't have it in the Settings panel either. I uninstalled synaptics, and tried several different desktops, to no avail. How can I get the touchpad back?

Re: Lost the touchpad

The legacy driver install usually creates a numberd config in /etc/X11/Xorg.d/xx_synaptics.conf. Note I am not positive the 'x' in xorg.d is capitalized or not.
    If that config exists then rename the suffix portion '.conf' to '.legacy' and then reboot. That should return control of the touchpad to libinput.

Arch linux has a lot of good stuff on configuring the touchpad. I would look there to get hints on how to get things to work for you. Just note that they have special input drivers that invoke a synclient tool which is not available in Fedora.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpad x200 Intel P8600, x40
    Acer AMD A10-7800 R7

Thanks for the quick reply! It seems that I don't have that config at all. The only thing I have in the /etc/X11/Xorg.d is 00-keyboard.conf
    I guess therein lies the rub, but am not sure how to create the touchpad config file.

Are you running Gnome as your desktop environment? If so, you are using Wayland instead of xorg. You might want to restart and on log in, click on the small icon just below the log-in window and choose "Gnome with xorg" (or similar). Some users have compained about problems with Wayland (one complaint being the fact that touch pads don't always work)

If you are already using xorg, refer to Archlinux wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics Install "xf86-input-synaptics" if you don't already have it installed. You can copy Arch's sample of synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf if this file does not exist. CD into xorg.conf.d (# cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d). Create a file (with text editor -- gedit, vim, etc.) named 70-synaptics.conf and copy Arch's sample file to this new text file. Save, exit and reboot.
    Last edited by donatom; 29th March 2018 at 08:43 PM.

Donatom,

How do we install "xf86-input-synaptics" since I didn't think it was an rpm. Reading the documentation it seemed that I would have to compile it for the Fedora distro.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpad x200 Intel P8600, x40
    Acer AMD A10-7800 R7

Using "$ dnf search input-synaptics" here are two possible drivers: xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-devel and xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-legacy.x86_64. I would try the first one: "# dnf install xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-devel"

If that doesn't work, install the second one.

This is what I get using "dnf info xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-devel":

Code:
    Available Packages
    Name         : xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-devel
    Version      : 1.9.0
    Release      : 6.fc27
    Arch         : i686
    Size         : 34 k
    Source       : xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-1.9.0-6.fc27.src.rpm
    Repo         : fedora
    Summary      : Xorg X11 synaptics input driver
    URL          : http://www.x.org
    License      : MIT
    Description  : Development files for the Synaptics TouchPad for X.Org.

Name         : xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-devel
    Version      : 1.9.0
    Release      : 6.fc27
    Arch         : x86_64
    Size         : 34 k
    Source       : xorg-x11-drv-synaptics-1.9.0-6.fc27.src.rpm
    Repo         : fedora
    Summary      : Xorg X11 synaptics input driver
    URL          : http://www.x.org
    License      : MIT
    Description  : Development files for the Synaptics TouchPad for X.Org.
    The way I interpret the above is that it is indeed a driver for touchpads. I can't guarantee it will work (along with the 70-synaptics.conf file that you copy from the archlinux wiki). But I can tell you that this worked for an HP Pavilion -i3 laptop which is a triple-boot machine (Fedora 27, Archlinux, Windows 10). Fedora worked out of the box with no touch pad configuration -- but this is how Fedora generally is (everything usually works out of the box).

By the way, did you try to boot with xorg instead of Wayland?

Hi, I did as you suggested and am not able to boot any more. Fedora hangs at the startup, having problem with the Gnome display manager.
    Never did it-can I just reinstall fedora from the CD without losing data?

UPDATE
    I deleted the 70-synaptics.conf via tty, and am back to the normal without reinstalling.
    Back to trying revive the touchpad...

Quote Originally Posted by donatom
    Are you running Gnome as your desktop environment? If so, you are using Wayland instead of xorg. You might want to restart and on log in, click on the small icon just below the log-in window and choose "Gnome with xorg" (or similar). Some users have compained about problems with Wayland (one complaint being the fact that touch pads don't always work)

If you are already using xorg, refer to Archlinux wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Touchpad_Synaptics Install "xf86-input-synaptics" if you don't already have it installed. You can copy Arch's sample of synaptics.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf if this file does not exist. CD into xorg.conf.d (# cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d). Create a file (with text editor -- gedit, vim, etc.) named 70-synaptics.conf and copy Arch's sample file to this new text file. Save, exit and reboot.
    Last edited by jackjock; 30th March 2018 at 03:12 AM.

donatom,

Neither of the two works. I tried also with Gnome Classic.

question, if you download a Live version of Fedora, and boot with that, does the touchpad work ?
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    question, if you download a Live version of Fedora, and boot with that, does the touchpad work ?
    I couldn't get it to work any more even after reinstall.
    I switched to openSUSE and everything works, oddly, even as it also runs Gnome.
    Thanks for all suggestions.