[SOLVED] Debug Sendmail?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Debug Sendmail?

Fedora 26
    Good morning,
    I have been running sendmail for ages over different versions of Fedora. I am not a mail expert, but managed to get the system working via forums such as this and googling. Typically, I was using sendmail to send me log (logwatch) reports from my laptop each day. Stupidly I hadn't checked the mail account for a couple of months and find today that mails are no longer being sent and haven't been since (from what I can gather) about the 10th Jan. I am using autrhenticated smtp - so have an auth config set under /etc/mail that again still seems to be fine and agrees with my service providers auth smtp set up.

At first I assumed that a new config file had been downloaded and overwritten my specific changes, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Sendmail as a service is running fine. The aliases file is correct. The only thing that appears to be new are certs in /etc/..... that may have been downloaded. I have tried the openssl commands from here - https://serverfault.com/questions/13...ls-certificate -- and that seems to show the certs ok. I can't see what updates to the system have been downloaded as the logs for dnf in /var/log don't go back to Jan to check.

If I run 'mail' or 'mailx' from the command line in verbose mode, that seems to work ok - to the effect that it seems to recognise the target address and says it's valid. So presumably logwatch is doing the same and presuming the mail is sent, but it never actually arrives.

Does anyone know how to debug this further? How can I see the route of a sent mail and any rejects down that path?

Thanks.....

Re: Debug Sendmail?

Can you clarify something - are the mail messages confined to a single machine, your local network, or do they go via an ISP ?

User error. Please replace user and try again

Ocratato,
    They go via an ISP - sendmail.mc/cf has entries for my smart.hosts.co.uk etc.
    I have found that I can send a mail via the authenticated SMTP of my isp via mail/mailx if I specify the full auth set on the command line - ie:
    mail -S smtp=my.isp.domain.ip -S smtp-auth-user=myauthuser -S smtp-auth-password=mypassword -v -r me@myauthd_domain.co.uk -s "test with direct smtp access" fred@someaddress.co.uk

That works ok. So that seems to rule out an issue with my ISP smtp authentication and presumably the certs. That then leaves me with some form of config change my end I think, although I'm not aware of changing anything. I have just tried altering 'hostname' in case the fqdn was causing the issue (and it may have been something that I'd changed without thinking of the consequences), but that doesn't appear to have any effect.

The mails seem to leave here ok according to maillog and get accepted for delivery via the relay (my ISP's smtp service), but nothing gets delivered. So I would guess that something in the mail header set up is causing the ISP to reject the mail as a fail, even though I'm not receiving any bounce messages back.

Just tried the following:

(Linux)E6540 :stevet : /etc/mail> sudo sendmail -Am -v -t
    To: steve@myhome.co.uk
    Subject: Direct command line to sendmail

This is the message text
    steve@myhome.co.uk... Connecting to smtp.hosts.co.uk. via relay...
    220 smtp.hosts.co.uk ESMTP
    >>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
    250-smtp.hosts.co.uk Hello localhost.localdomain [my.isp.ip.address]
    250-SIZE 157286400
    250-8BITMIME
    250-PIPELINING
    250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    250-STARTTLS
    250 HELP
    >>> STARTTLS
    220 TLS go ahead
    >>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
    250-smtp.hosts.co.uk Hello localhost.localdomain [my.isp.ip.address]
    250-SIZE 157286400
    250-8BITMIME
    250-PIPELINING
    250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
    250 HELP
    >>> AUTH LOGIN
    334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
    >>> dHVzb2wuY28udWs=
    334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
    >>> dHVzb2w0ODg1NDg=
    235 Authentication succeeded
    >>> MAIL From:<stevet@mywork.co.uk> SIZE=117 AUTH=stevet@localhost.localdomain
    250 OK
    >>> RCPT To:<steve@myhome.co.uk>
    >>> DATA
    250 Accepted
    354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
    >>> .
    250 OK id=1f1C0D-0008Lv-6I
    steve@myhome.co.uk... Sent (OK id=1f1C0D-0008Lv-6I)
    Closing connection to smtp.hosts.co.uk.
    >>> QUIT
    221 smtp.hosts.co.uk closing connection

....that to me seems to say that the message has been sent... but the message doesn't go anywhere - so it seems that sendmail is logging into the smtp authentication ok and seems to accept the message to be sent to the correct user ok. Then nothing. No mail.

See if your ISP changed their rules to "/dev/null" everything which contains: "localhost.localdomain"
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

I'm still waiting to hear from my ISP, but in the meanwhile I've downloaded and installed Postfix (given that sendmail appears to be deprecated anyway) and spent some time configuring that. I think I have a working system for mailing the logs again and if I don't see any issues over the next few weeks with Postfix, I will remove sendmail now anyway.

Thanks for the help/advice anyway.