FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Should "Fedora Modular" repos be enabled?

I did an update to f28 today, and immediately did a check-update because of a skipped package. This happened:
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf check-update
    Fedora Modular 28 - x86_64                                      1.2 MB/s | 244 kB     00:00    
    Fedora Modular 28 - x86_64 - Updates                            7.1 kB/s | 257  B     00:00    
    Fedora Modular 28 - x86_64 - Test Updates                       489 kB/s |  53 kB     00:00    
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:00 ago on Mon 12 Mar 2018 02:24:27 PM PDT.
    Those repos are new after the update, along with the normal Fedora repos. Should they be enabled on a normal install?

dd_wizard

Re: Should "Fedora Modular" repos be enabled?

Did you install from Fedora-server? If so, they were going to use the modular thingie, but they didn't get the bugs out. So, it's possible that it's now fixed and they are adding in the modular repos.

Hopefully, they didn't remove the existing repos. (When I installed from server--probably a nightly build, before F27 came out--at that time, one just got the modular repos and none of the regular repos.)

If that is the case, that you installed from server, then I don't have an answer to the issue, but it seems that it may be a possible cause.

EDIT: Just updated an install that had been done from the workstation install, choosing minimal, then adding X afterwards, and there were no repos. So I suspect it is connected with using server.
    Last edited by smr54; 13th March 2018 at 01:44 AM.

I'm pretty sure I installed it from the Workstation netinstall, but I could be mistaken. The normal repos stayed enabled, so I just disabled the Modular repos. I've read the contents of /etc/*release*, but I don't see any indication of whether the install is server or workstation. Where else can I look?

dd_wizard

No idea, to be honest. I would have thought release.

This link explains it well.

dd_wizard

I tried out the fc27 boltron server beta and there wasn't much in the way of modules and
    didn't bother to try out any of the modules.
    There was a bit of a learning curve with cockpit as workstation is my normal platform.

Thanks for the link dd_wizard I read the article. I have to admit that I originally thought
    that boltron would run vm instances like atomic or maybe docker and now that redhat
    incorporated coreos?

There is an article on lwn.net from 1 mar that goes over some of the issues of costs
    to host onsite or use cloud/colocation.