FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

What is the best way to remove desktop environment

Best way to remove the CInnamon desktop environment, the LXQT desktop environment and the Mate desktop environment from a relatively fresh install of Fedora 27?

Re: What is the best way to remove desktop environment

thread moved, please don't post questions in the guides section as it clearly states. I believe the best way would be starting again, especially if you want to keep another desktop in the process. each desktop environment removal will possibly try to remove dependencies which could lead to many packages being pulled with them and eventual breakage of the remaining system installation.

I could be wrong about this, so it's up to you if you want to wait and see if anyone else replies with something workable. remember that this is a user community so a speedy response cannot be guaranteed.

If you have just installed the extra environments the 'dnf history undo' command may work. But if you have done other dnf transactions since then it is unlikely it will work.

But I agree that a clean new installation is the safest way.

each desktop environment removal will possibly try to remove dependencies which could lead to many packages being pulled with them and eventual breakage of the remaining system installation.
    This describes my experience since yum and dnf were introduced. My alternative is simply to leave the installed desktop environments in place and just use my chosen one. I guess some reasons put to un-install programs include saving space, and having a nice non-redundant slim-as-possible system. Fortunately disk space is fairly inexpensive now, and the aesthetics of a slim system don't make a large enough impact on functionality for me to be concerned about it any more, so I just leave well enough alone.

Just leave 'em be. Disk space anymore isn't a 'premium' resource. It's cheap and lots of it! Also, having more than one desktop doesn't increase your 'memory' footprint if not used, nor take up any CPU cycles. Therefore just leave them until you need to re-install the system for some reason. Then just load the one you are going to use at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by additydue
    Best way to remove the CInnamon desktop environment, the LXQT desktop environment and the Mate desktop environment from a relatively fresh install of Fedora 27?
    I'd try something like
    Code:
    sudo dnf remove $(rpm -qa | grep mate)
    to get rid of the Mate DE (and similar code for the other two) and look very carefully before approving the transaction
    RockDoctor
    Registered Linux user #360200

There are many packages (rpms) that the mate desktop draws in which do not have "mate" in the name of the package, so, although a removal command targeting packages with "mate" in the name may remove the capacity to run the "Mate DE", the overwhelming number of packages still supporting that desktop would remain installed ... and the same would apply for the other desktop environments.