Help with NVIDIA driver.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Help with NVIDIA driver.

I was trying to install Nvidia driver using these commands

dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia akmod-nvidia
    dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda #optional for cuda/nvdec/nvenc support
    dnf update -y

which I found on the internet as I am new to Linux. After reboot, the pc game so sluggish that I simply can't say. It's very powerful built PC still. Intel i7 along with 16 GB of ram and it's SSD.

then I removed it...using

dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia\*

and after the reboot PC is back to normal functioning. Where things went wrong?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-03-06 21-15-16.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	29451

I mean the graphic card is there...
    Last edited by BediVikas; 7th March 2018 at 03:15 AM.

Re: Help with NVIDIA driver.

I may be wrong, but is linux actually capable of supporting power gaming? - That video card is going to be seriously heavy on resources and I think that is more likely to be the problem than the driver; that and possibly a combination of whatever else you have running on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy Skies
    I may be wrong, but is linux actually capable of supporting power gaming?...
    These days, most current dedicated graphics video cards are decently supported in Linux. Old video cards may not have good support, and may struggle with modern games.

Some games even run faster in native Linux than in Windows or OSX.

From personal experience, I can say that there is no problem running graphics-heavy action-packed games in Linux, as long as you stick with good recent video cards that are well supported. I even run some games in 4K resolution without any hiccups.

That's interesting to know. - There are several games that I would like to be able to play on a linux distro, so I will have to bear that in mind; but I also have a similar Nvidia GeForce video card...

I do not think so that should be a problem considering it was working fine on windows 8.1 enterprise before. And this is a newly installed OS, I am using Linux first time only for five days so far but I am sure I didn't install anything that can conflict with it. I didn't even install something called wine...may be I should install wine first and then install nvidia driver? I mean it's very expensive, I paid $270 for this driver

So what do you think osce0? What should be done? You think GTX 670 is old video card? I highly doubt it...

Quote Originally Posted by BediVikas
    So what do you think osce0? What should be done? You think GTX 670 is old video card? I highly doubt it...
    well it is old in the respect that there's been 4 newer generations released since but it is supported by the current geforce driver set still at the moment. your best option as far as I'm aware is to use rpmfusion packaged nvidia drivers for fedora.

if you have recently paid $270 for a windows driver for your graphics card then I'm afraid you've most likely been ripped off. they are available free from nvidia to all card owners. you pay for the card itself up front and don't have to pay again for driver updates.

also, you don't need to run windows graphics card drivers for any programs run in wine.

// use rpmfusion packaged nvidia drivers for fedora. // yeah that is where I got my commands from. I think I need to install every single dnf mentioned there. // you have recently paid $270 // sorry that was typo I meant to say I spent $270 in 2012 when I bought the graphic card and do not want to go it away. Yeah @antikythera I used packages but I think I need to install as many as possible and may be it might click?

FTR you need xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda-libs for nvenc/nvdec support.

Is there an actual point to this post?, IMO it's more suited to rants as no useful info is provided.

Where things went wrong?
    It is impossible to say without additional info.

which I found on the internet
    Perhaps you should google for the info I require

// you need corgi-x11... // I was �� the same thing I need to install more packages to run Nvidia card. // it’s more suited to rants as no useful info is provided // yeah I think you’re right. I’ve been using Linux only about less than a week. I should’ve finished few Linux books before joining this forum for help. It makes me look really dumb. // ...without additional info // I really have no clue what additional info is required when I’ve just installed the fedora 27. But now I’ve found I’m not the only one who is having this issue
    https://www.hyperborea.org/journal/2...usable-fedora/ But he’s using Linux for a while. Thanks for the help I’d be much considerate before asking for help here. I need to exhaust myself doing research before asking for help. It was a lazy approach & I hold myself fully accountable for this.

well there are two things to read which will help others on this forum assist you better BediVikas,

please read the posting rules and guidelines because your post formatting is a garbled mess and second how to upload some information about your system.

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum...bout-The-Forum

Quote Originally Posted by BediVikas
    // you need corgi-x11... // I was �� the same thing I need to install more packages to run Nvidia card. // it’s more suited to rants as no useful info is provided // yeah I think you’re right. I’ve been using Linux only about less than a week. I should’ve finished few Linux books before joining this forum for help. It makes me look really dumb. // ...without additional info // I really have no clue what additional info is required when I’ve just installed the fedora 27. But now I’ve found I’m not the only one who is having this issue
    https://www.hyperborea.org/journal/2...usable-fedora/ But he’s using Linux for a while. Thanks for the help I’d be much considerate before asking for help here. I need to exhaust myself doing research before asking for help. It was a lazy approach & I hold myself fully accountable for this.
    See #7 https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...tegoryHowto%29

Also see #4.6 if your using gnome

OP: If the akmods are giving you too much trouble, you can try the official Nvidia driver. Follow the instructions here: https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...-nvidia-guide/
    Read everything first (and print it, you'll need it...) and don't skip steps. Works great for me, and dkms takes care of most kernel changes.
    Have fun

Alright thanks for that I think it worked...right? I mean it's showing in both terminal as well as settings. But how come steam games don't start anymore? I mean before installing those games like bioshok infinite was sluggish and almost impossible to play on ultra settings. Now I click on steam play and preparing to start game pop up for a second and nothing happens afterwards..same with borderland 2. Does it have to do with it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-03-11 20-49-05.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	29464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-03-11 20-49-36.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	29465
    Bedi Vikas

Wow these seem very hard though.
    Bedi Vikas