lost audio output
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

lost audio output

Hi,

Somehow I've managed to loose all audio output, I did have audio after install for a while then all of a sudden
    it was gone.

don't now if it will help but the desktop environment is lxde

any help is appreciated
    pheonixfire

Re: lost audio output

Could someone please help me troubleshoot this problem, I looked in the log file
    and can't see anything obvious, I need some advice on how to proceed

any help is appreciated
    pheonixfire

Install pavucontrol. Open pavucontrol and navigate to "configuration" (click on arrow in the upper-right side a few times). Make sure your sound card is chosen in the drop-down menu. Then navigate to "output devices" by clicking on arrow on the upper-left side. Make sure the bottom drop-down menu is on "All Output Devices". Also be sure the device is not muted (click on speaker-icon). Then navigate to "Playback" and be sure that the bottom drop-down menu is on "All Streams" and check that the speaker-icon is not muted.

If the above doesn't work (sometimes you have to play around with the settings to get it right), stop pulseaudio with "$ pulseaudio -k" command in terminal and then restart it with "$ pulseaudio -D" command. You might need to go back to pavucontrol to check output again.

Generally audio just works, but if it doesn't, going through pavucontrol usually will get audio working again.

pavucontrol didn't fix it, attached is a screenshot of the output devices tab
    for some reason it only shows the line out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sound screenshot.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	29452

any help is appreciated
    pheonixfire

Can you move the audio output from "silence" over to the right? Attach a screen-shot of the pavu-control "Configuration" tab along with the name of your sound card. You can click on the drop-down menu to try to change "line out" to some other output device in the "Output Devices" tab. When you are playing audio, do you notice a pulsating blue line below the line indicating volume (if you can move the volume control over to the right, of course)?
    Last edited by donatom; 8th March 2018 at 05:06 PM.

I used to have the same problem. All you have to do is executing "alsamixer" in the console.

"To get audio going to the speakers at the rear panel, from a terminal, run alsamixer (not GNOME Alsamixer), and using the arrow keys, go over to Analog Output and change Headphones FP to Multichannel or Headphones."

If there is something wrong in your "alsamixer", pavu-control would have the problem like what you described above.

screenshot of configuration tab is attached, also attached is a screenshot showing the options in the output devices
    tab options, line out seems to be the only option available.

The audio chip on the motherboard is a Realtek ALC1220

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sound screenshot 2.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	29454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audio screenshot 3.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	29455

any help is appreciated
    pheonixfire

In the output devices tab click and hold on the little, round icon above "Silence" and try to move it over to the right (make sure audio is not muted if it won't move -- click on the speaker icon).

If that doesn't work, try choosing another setting on the bottom profile (drop-down menu) in your Configuration tab, like Analog Stereo Duplex. It is possible that pulseaudio is not finding a set of speakers (Analog Surround 5.1). What kinds of speakers are you using? Have you tried headphones? (just to see if you get audio to them)

After trying every option in the configuration tab then changing it back
    Analog 5.1 Surround Output, audio is working again, I don't understand
    why it's working again since it was on this option before

pheonixfire

Audio is fairly complex, but pulseaudio/pavucontrol do a very good job, but as you can see they are not perfect. Anyway, great that you have finally got your system's audio to work.

In the image, I noticed that the mute icon (the image with a speaker and an 'x' next to it) was on. Was that intentional? That could explain the sound not being heard.

Unless the mute state could not be changed. Then try alsamixer to see whether it was muted from there.