FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Start Up Screen & TTY Colours Go Strange

Hey all,

So I was running Fedora 26 as a media centre with an old Samsung LCD TV, after I upgraded the TV to a new LG OLED TV I start getting some colour issues. So I notice that after decrypting the filesystem on bootup the Fedora splash screen appears and after a couple of seconds the colours seem to invert. The background colour will go purple and all the colours are just different to the original splash screen colours. Once Gnome loads into the login screen the colours are fine, once I log into Gnome DE the colours are fine. If I open gnome-terminal the colours are fine, but if I got to TTY the background becomes green instead of black. After upgrading the Fedora 27 the problem still persists. The weird thing is the old TV didn't have this problem at all. I haven't tried plugging another monitor into it yet, as the problem only occurs on system bootup and when in TTY. I have done a bit of Googling for "fedora tty colour problem" and similar things but nothing has really popped up that has helped. So is anyone able to give me a push in the right direction of where I should start looking to try and solve this? The graphics card is a Nvidia 650ti running the latest RPMFusion Nvidia driver, which I believe means I will be using X when I log into Gnome. Happy to supply any other details if necessary.

Thanks,

blindcant.

Re: Start Up Screen & TTY Colours Go Strange

it's a mode support issue with the new tv. you could try removing rhgb quiet from the kernel boot commands which gets rid of the animation but leaves text output. it will also boot a little quicker like that (not much but there is a subtle difference).

if you want to see if it works before committing, press 'e' when the grub menu comes up and you can remove those entries before booting. the change isn't permanent though. for that, you'd need to edit /etc/default/grub and then update the grub menu afterwards.

Re: Start Up Screen & TTY Colours Go Strange

Thanks for the reply, I will give this option a try. This sounds like it will only address the bootup option? Or would it fix the TTY as well?