Any one having issues with Gnome Shell / Vim?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Any one having issues with Gnome Shell / Vim?

I had several terminal windows open and 5 or 6 different files open in Vim.
    I experienced one file where a paragraph of text had duplicated itself 40+ times. I deleted those and the next day it happened again. The same block of text even thought the file is a Log for software ideas and notes that had new text below that paragraph. The humor of this is the two lines hat were duplicated 40+ times in file ( twice in two days) were "Need to make this a function." and "Need to make it Cyclic."

Second issue was a function call in a C program text, I was working on, in Vim that about 10 instances of that function call was peppered in different locations in the code. Including inside of a another function call. In a print statement. in-line and the odd "error causing during compile" places
    Other things I notice is sometimes I cannot get the window to respond such as I type mc for midnight commander and I have to wait and wait and wait.
    CPU load is around 16% with nothing special running. At this time it is 5.7%
    It seems to get unhinged when I open a encrypted drive I keep my software projects on. But not all the time.
    So I also have tried to close files I have only read and Vim warns the file has been changed in memory and or on disk

So other than this I also have some Stop Job issues. Had one running 10+ minutes when I tried to shut things down. "Cryptography Setup" ran 10+ minutes before I bravely powered off manually and User 1000 something are happening often too. Strange. I have a USB drive that is encrypted I use.

Anyway I thought I would bounce this off you all (y'all)
    Any ideas? Hackers? CIA? Russia? Seriously it is strange. Plenty of power and memory/disk space here.

Re: Any one having issues with Gnome Shell / Vim?

I believe I may know what the root cause is.

I write C programs and I often have print statements to aid in development. The current program makes huge files. It was like 3 gigs and when I open those is when the trouble starts.
    I tried to open one of those text files and the shell simply stopped functioning. I have an encrypted drive and when I tried to shut down I had a stop job that ran for Cryptography setup 10+ minutes before I bravely manually powered off.
    That happened three times until I realized how huge the file had gotten,

How Vim is "activating" copy or perhaps paste is unknown but I do believe even Kernel memory was effected as I was warned about that.
    So with a little more code I can limit my text reports on developing my program and keep the size of the files down.
    So far so good.
    I have my eyes open for other issues.

The World ends when I have to kill Gnome-Shell process!

I am rather sure the initiator of the systemic freeze is loading larger than one gigabyte files into VIM.
    I see nothing wrong with that as I have 32 Gigabytes of memory hence no big deal to me.
    Once this has happened and even after that file is closed and out of memory Shell will do strange things such as pasting source code into a command prompt and causing issues. It was curious to see source code had been entered at a command prompt.
    So once the big file has been loaded t is only a matter of time before Shell quits. Then, as I do, any open encrypted drives, get stuck with Cryptography setup, running as a stop job for "Unlimited Time" when trying to shutdown.
    I never see stop jobs with a 5ghz 8 core until now. User1000, Disk Manager and Crypto Setup are regulars after VIM has opened a 1+ Gig file.

So I am relieved that it wasn't hackers but now am careful with the file size when I remember.

I reported to Github about Vim and loading large files.
    I have seen code pasted into command prompts when I select that tab.
    I have seen duplication of text in open text files . This last time 3000+ copies of two lines.
    It all starts after a really large text file is opened with Vim. Like around 1 gigabytes's worth.
    It corrupts the system and things start failing. even the video players become corrupted. Obviously there is a memory leak in Vim!

If the problem is spreading between processes then its more than just a memory leak in vim.
    It would have to be in something that was common across the processes - either gnome-shell or the display server.
    Are you using X or Wayland ?
    Does it manifest itself if you switch display servers ( X <--> Wayland) ?

XWayland ??? LOL Actually I can't use the screen saver because it blanks out all the open programs so I am forced to not let the screen blank.
    But yes I would say that there is a type of "creep" in the effect which is initiated, as best as I can tell, by loading a huge file into Vim.
    Um I am unsure how to check the X server aspect. I run three monitors so I have either used NVida or now Wayland.
    How would I switch to X to test this?

I am using Scientific Linux which hasn't done Wayland yet, so according to what others have told me:

On the GDM login screen, after you enter your user name, a cog symbol appears where you can select between X and Wayland.