Setting up different servers at home
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Setting up different servers at home

Hi Friends,

I have been using Fedora since 2005. I taught myself how to install and use it and whenever I needed help, this forum provided me in a friendly manner. I am very grateful to all of you here.

I know some basic stuff about Fedora now, but I want to go further and set up a few servers at home with 4-5 old PCs that my group of friends (all Linux enthusiasts) can put together in order to accomplish the same. I have read a few Linux books and each book has a dedicated section about different types of servers, but despite going through them a number of times, I have never been able to achieve anything, which can be due to a number of reasons, including my being not so technically sound.

https://www.amazon.in/Fedora-Red-Hat...eywords=fedora

Maintain FTP, Web, mail, DNS, proxy, print, news, and database servers
    https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Linux+Bi...-9781118999875

Chapter 17: Configuring a Web Server 449 etc...
    Now my group is determined to learn all types of servers that can be set up at home with Fedora OS (Workstation/Server) for learning purposes. Be it e-mail server, web server, file server, FTP server etc. This may sound stupid, but we want to learn and teach Fedora to our local Linux group here and show them the power of Linux in general.

Out of the 4-5 PCs, one will a server and one would be a firewall. Others will become clients. I read somewhere that a physical PC can be configured to act as a firewall. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please guide me as to how my group can set up servers (e-mail server, web server, file server, FTP server etc.) at home with Fedora OS on each machine. What hardware is needed apart from a LAN cable and switch, if any. Is there a step by step process that one can follow? I have watched a few YouTube videos so far, but I was not very impressed. I even requested the video up-loaders to create one video dedicated to creating a Fedora based home network that can teach Fedora users how to set up above mentioned servers in order to get some idea as to how big companies use them in real world. I have not heard from anybody so far. Very disappointing to say the least. But if I am able to do this with my group, then I intend to upload a video. So that all Fedora users can learn something.

Thanks a lot.
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Re: Setting up different servers at home

Yes you can build a firewall with linux, but you need at least two network interfaces as far as i know. Using fedora as the firewall, although im sure entirely possible, may get a bit tricky. (i've got similar stuff working in the past) This may not be exactly in line with what you're wanting but here's an idea: Private cloud.

If some of your machines support virtualzation, i would install openstack. This will use software defined networking (SDN) which will enable virtual routing. It will also teach you fundamentals about how the real cloud works, as its the same thing. you can then virtualize your mail servers, http servers, etc.

Note, installing openstack can be very challenging, but man is it cool once you get it up and running

I would start by setting up everything in a local network first, i.e. 192.168.20.nn , which is not accessible from the outside world, and then once everything is running locally, and all your services are accessible, then and only then, add a firewall and make specific services available to the outside world.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Take a look at ispconfig. There are "perfect server" tutorials that walk through settig up a complete web/email/dns/ftp (and more) server. However, they don't offer a tutorial for Fedora, but do cover ispc3 on Centos 7 servers. Anyway, going through building an ispc3 server is a very good learning experience if you take the time to understand each of the setup steps. And you end up with a nice secure server system complete with a web-based control panel.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by rexrf
    If some of your machines support visualization, i would install openstack. This will use software defined networking (SDN) which will enable virtual routing. It will also teach you fundamentals about how the real cloud works, as its the same thing. you can then virtualize your mail servers, http servers, etc.

Note, installing openstack can be very challenging, but man is it cool once you get it up and running
    great, i heard it the world openstack some time ago, but never actually tried it. now i will convince my group of friends to give it a go, many thanks for sharing your experience.

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by bobx001
    I would start by setting up everything in a local network first, i.e. 192.168.20.nn , which is not accessible from the outside world, and then once everything is running locally, and all your services are accessible, then and only then, add a firewall and make specific services available to the outside world.
    right, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G
    Take a look at ispconfig. There are "perfect server" tutorials that walk through settig up a complete web/email/dns/ftp (and more) server. However, they don't offer a tutorial for Fedora, but do cover ispc3 on Centos 7 servers. Anyway, going through building an ispc3 server is a very good learning experience if you take the time to understand each of the setup steps. And you end up with a nice secure server system complete with a web-based control panel.
    nice. thanks.

I clicked on your link and got a ton of selinux refusals. Has your site shown below comprimised?

Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    I clicked on your link and got a ton of selinux refusals. Has your site shown below comprimised?

No sir, not all. it has been running very well on my pc and other devices at home with no problems whatsoever. i am sorry if you had to face any issues. that said, its only a blog. thanks a lot.