Fedora 27, AMD Ryzen 2400G, and Gigabyte AB350N issues
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 27, AMD Ryzen 2400G, and Gigabyte AB350N issues

I'm having some issues running Fedora 27 on the new AMD Ryzen APU platform. I put together a new build based on this system yesterday (Gigabyte AB350N mini-itx motherboard with 16GB G-Skill memory, etc), installed Fedora 27 with no trouble and immediately ran 'dnf update' to get the new 4.15 kernel for the graphics support. After that, the system worked wonderfully on 4.15.4--with full graphics support--for the rest of the afternoon. I went to reboot this morning and the system hung at about 0.3s into the 4.15.4 kernel boot. (The last line was a complaint about IO-MMU errors. It's probably unrelated, but I disabled BIOS support for KVM anyway--which I had enabled--and still had the same issues.) Keep rebooting, same thing. Upgraded to the latest BIOS, same thing. During various attempts I disabled the graphics option on the kernel line and one time (just once) saw a kernel panic, but couldn't tell what happened based on the output I saw. Another time, for reasons unknown I successfully booted into the 4.15.4 kernel but then rebooted to test something out, and the reboot had the same hang issue. Intermingled with this, I am successfully booting into the old 4.13.9 kernel . . . with 800x600 graphics

Now here's where it gets strange: The system has 16GB of RAM (2x8GB). After multiple reboots (and after I upgraded the BIOS), I noticed that after I power on or push the reset button, the full 16GB of RAM is detected. However, when I reboot from software, only 8GB is detected. I noticed this at first during the one time I booted into 4.15.4, so I rebooted to reseat the memory just in case . . . No more luck on 4.15.4 after that, but when I boot into the 4.13.9 kernel the same thing happens. I've reseated and rearranged the memory a couple of times, and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I currently have memtest86+ running on the system--one pass completed with no errors, BUT memtest86+ ALSO saw only 8GB of memory until I did a hard reset.

This has been a good build gone really bad, so I'm wondering if anyone else has some suggestions. Thanks.

Re: Fedora 27, AMD Ryzen 2400G, and Gigabyte AB350N issues

I suggest you strongly consider applying the latest UEFI firmware update (revision f22b) from Gigabyte if you haven't already and see if the system is more stable after that.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...-10#support-dl

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I suggest you strongly consider applying the latest UEFI firmware update (revision f22b) from Gigabyte if you haven't already and see if the system is more stable after that.
    I tried this fairly early on. My one regret is that I didn't notice the mysterious missing memory problem until after I had already updated the BIOS. I think the next step is to throw in an old video card to see how things go and hope that things get fixed as the hardware support matures.

Thanks for the suggestion!

maybe the ram voltage and timings need tweaking, it's worth looking into anyhow as they may not have been automatically detected properly by the board. also, are the specific modules purchased listed on the qualified vendor list for it?

Can you run with just one stick of RAM? I know I had similar problems and it was a RAM problem. I had two 16G modules, and pulled one. Solid on the one. Just a thought.

Just a couple of updates on this in case anybody else has any ideas or similar experiences. In a nutshell, there appears to be three separate issues that I am wrestling with:

1. With the existing two 8GB sticks of memory, both are detected on power up but only one 8GB stick is detected after rebooting--until the next power up. I swapped out those two sticks for two others (2 x 16GB) and the problem with only half the memory being detected went away. I realized that I had gotten the "intel" branded memory from G.Skill instead of the "AMD" branded memory. I had assumed this difference was purely marketing, but I'm wondering: could that be causing the problem?

2. I am still unable to boot into the 4.15 kernel with the APU graphics, even with the new 4.15.6 kernel. In fact, even when I put in an external video card I have to disable the onboard video (vs. "auto") in BIOS or the system refuses to boot, getting stuck in the same point. However, with an external (NVidia) video card and onboard video disabled I can boot into either 4.15 kernel without a problem.

3. When I enable IOMMU in the BIOS the 4.15.6 kernel dumped a continuous stream of error messages to the console, which I didn't write down. I shut down, disabled IOMMU, and things went fine (with the external video card). Hmm.

Thanks for reading and please let me know if you have any suggestions!

that's why I asked whether the RAM you were using was on the qualified vendor list for the mainboard as it does make a difference what the RAM is actually designed for use with, there are many sub-types and variations of RAM. most RAM companies offer a configuration tool to check which modules are needed:

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

anyhow, it seems you've now come to that conclusion yourself and got it working with some better suited modules.