FC 27 Add printer tool doesn't detect USB printer
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

FC 27 Add printer tool doesn't detect USB printer

In a recently installed and update FC 27 XFCE spin installation, the printer adminstration tool doesn't detect a printer (Laserjet Peo M1212nf) attached to a USB port. It only offers the choice of connecting a printer to a serial port and after using that option, the printer doesn't print.

The M1212nf shows up in the list of HP printers. The command line sane-find-image detects the machine (since it is also a scanner).

Edit: I tried another printer (HP Lasetjet 1536dnf) and had no problem adding it and printing to it.

I conclude the M1212nf can't be used with FC 27 without taking extraordinary measures. There are posts on the web about people getting it to work as a network printer. I didn't find any reports of it working as a local printer.
    Last edited by tashirosgt; 22nd February 2018 at 10:01 PM.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

Re: FC 27 Add printer tool doesn't detect USB printer

Have you tried to locate the printer on the cups website (localhost:631)? If it shows up on the cups website, then try to add it. Of course, cups must be installed on your system (I would assume it is already installed; if not, install it)

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Re: FC 27 Add printer tool doesn't detect USB printer

Quote Originally Posted by donatom
    Have you tried to locate the printer on the cups website (localhost:631)? If it shows up on the cups website, then try to add it. Of course, cups must be installed on your system (I would assume it is already installed; if not, install it)
    I had this problem with the Fedora 29 desktop. The settings application -> Printers did not see the printer but the CUPS interface found it. Everything set up correctly. Thanks.

Funny, my old Fedora 14 install found and configured the printer automatically when I plugged in the USB cable.