FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F27 boots w/ kernel panic when loading with any 4.14.X kernels

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and this will be my first post here.

Basically, I can't successfully load Fedora WS without this kernel panic fiasco from occuring each and every time I boot with one of the newer kernels.

An image to give some detail:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boot_f27_kernel.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	29412

So far, I've been able to get around this issue by loading a previous kernel. To be specific, the 4.13.9 kernel. Incidentally, this is the only kernel on my system that will run without triggering a kernel panic.

As I'm sure you've all noticed, we've received at least two more kernels updates since the above mentioned, and I can guarantee you that they've all failed for me. Anything within the 4.14.X release of kernels fails with the same kernel panic.

I think it's worth mentioning that I'm relatively new to Linux and have no major experience troubleshooting any severe issues such as this. I've been putting off updating the working kernel and even removed those non-working ones from my system but attempted to update it again with all the hype around specter & meltdown.

For those interested in my build, please visit this link. AFAIK, that build is accurate to its specs. I haven't changed anything.

That system is something which was acquired about 3-4 years ago and I have no clue as to how long it was in use prior to purchase. I will be running tests of my own to check on the hardware, but I currently doubt that's an issue.

Right now, my only suspicion is possible firmware conflict or something similar.

Again, I don't have much experience with troubleshooting these types of things and would therefore require more knowledgeable insight from the community.

What log files can I provide to the folk here to get better insight into my problem?

I'd be happy to provide more info.

TIA

- T.R.G.

EDIT:
    To make things clearer, the above linked HP PC Tower is the unit in question.

I linked you all to that because that is the current build I've loaded with Fedora. I purchased that unit pre-owned and I haven't changed anything that's written in its specs.
    Last edited by That Random Guy; 21st March 2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo&fix

Re: F27 boots w/ kernel panic when loading with any 4.14.X kernels

Are you sure you mean 4.4.X kernels? The latest Fedora 27 kernels are 4.14.X and 4.15.X .

Do you have an Intel processor? The Page Table Isolation fix seems to be buggy.
    Try booting with "nopti" in your kernel command-line and see if that lets your system boot.
    I had to do that with an Intel box to get it to boot.

@ulatekh
    Yes, you're correct! I have no idea what made me think otherwise!

To answer your question: yes, the processor is Intel; as is the graphics card and board (I believe).

I will report back with results. Thanks!
    Last edited by That Random Guy; 27th February 2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: forgot_mention

IS this a laptop with docking station? Unplug it.

Maybe boot the installation media and choose Troubleshoot from the boot menu and see if you can boot to a command line that way. If you don't know much about linux, you can just reboot the machine with the reset/power button, dont usually do that though. or if you get to a command line you could run "systemctl reboot" to reboot.

What kind of system is it?

The PC involved is an old HP tower. The link to its description and details is in my original thread post above.

I'll try running the troubleshooter, but I don't know what to expect from that.

Are there any logs that would give a clue as to why it keeps doing this?

the troubleshooting boot option isn't going to trouble shoot anything. It is just going to boot the machine to a command prompt. this is just to see if it can boot.

Are there logs, that depends on when it kernel panics. Unless you have another machine that you could kernel dump to, i doubt it.

Does that mean there's no way to recover any sort of details after successfully loading (and after receiving the error)?

I'm able to run Fedora fine if I load with any previous kernels before the 4.14.X line-up. I'm assuming the troubleshoot option won't give me any failures or whatnot since I can do that.

I don't know if there are any logs that are affected on the kernel panic issue, but I'd like to think Fedora has some way to get some info out of it (aside from the console messages).

I'll try poking around to find something...

Quote Originally Posted by That Random Guy
    Does that mean there's no way to recover any sort of details after successfully loading (and after receiving the error)?

I'm able to run Fedora fine if I load with any previous kernels before the 4.14.X line-up. I'm assuming the troubleshoot option won't give me any failures or whatnot since I can do that.

I don't know if there are any logs that are affected on the kernel panic issue, but I'd like to think Fedora has some way to get some info out of it (aside from the console messages).

I'll try poking around to find something...

so you can install or you cant install? I thought you ment loading, like installing the system... ok im up to speed.

when are you locking up? how does it lockup? yea you can reboot, and then run: journalctl --boot=-1

it might give some indication of why you crashed.

edit the kernel line that locks up and add this to the end of the kernel line: systemd.unit=rescue.target
    see if it will boot like that.

Without enable kernel dumps it depends on when it is crashing. If it is crashing in the kernel you are hosed, you will need a dump to figure it out. If its crashing in the initrd or the system. Then you can get a lot of info without a kernel dump.

OP stated 4.3.19 and earlier kernel did not panic / crash to uselessness.
    Fedora 27 may be 4.14.xx kernel, but I.'m commenting that this is NOT a Fedora 27 problem/issue.

My experiences with Intel Chromebook with linux as ubuntu in a chronos shell would confirm the problems started after 4.3.19 kernel for many of us . . .
    . . . and they are not linux distribution issues ubuntu or fedora problems -
    everyone/many on various devices are getting kernel panics - screen wipeouts - needing to boot in different runlevel to troubleshoot etc. yadayadayada . . .

My linux kernel 4.4.96 update caused a problem that turned out easy enough to solve . . . the chronos shell needed x11 reloaded for the newer touchscreens - and with
    - touch parameter added or not -
    In my perspective - people are having issues with post 4.3.19 kernel issues/updates and they are real problems -
    Thank goodness for these forums for seeking brainstorming ideas to troubleshoot. Good luck everybuddy.

(trusty)root@localhost:/home/bh# uname -a
    Linux localhost 4.4.96-12272-g2cbee1af2bec-dirty #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Feb 2 17:05:19 PST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$: uname -r
    4.15.6-300.fc27.x86_64

Im not having any problems. I did get one boot failure after installing. I rebooted after install, it came up fine. I ran "yum update" and then rebooted, kernel update, and it failed to boot but it was obviously not a kernel panic and something screwed in the initrd. I got the fedora booting screen and then it froze, no alt+d, no ctrl+f2, no alt+tab and no further. Wouldn't ping but NM. I rebooted and it came up fine. No problems since then, I just figured hiccup or something... New kernel and new initrd.

Update

I installed and ran kdump but when I finally rebooted with the newer kernel (now 4.15.8), I received the kernel panic but nothing under /etc/crash/

I didn't change a thing to the default config for kdump (and its related utilities) but I did edit the grub2.cfg as described here in this Fedora guide for setting up kdump.

I'm going to keep trying to tweak what I have to make sure I'm doing everything right, but I still can't run any new kernels above 4.3.19.

P.S. - Yes, I verified whether kdump was started via systemctl and it was. I had to edit the grub2.cfg file and add in kernelcrash=128M to the line where the parameter list was for the kernel I loaded with. Since I can only load with the above mentioned kernel, I went and did that. I did not, however, do so for the newly acquired kernel. When I booted with the 4.15.5 kernel, I let it run for a bit, rebooted and found nothing in the /etc/crash/ directory.

Logs Update

I have attached a file that contains the output from running journalctl --boot=-1.

I still have no luck with kdump but I'm willing to bet that it's due to my own inexperience.

boot_info.txt

Update

My last working kernel is in fact 4.13.9. As someone pointed out, 4.3.19 is a very old kernel.

I am running Fedora 27 WS with the latest of everything and I've updated the system to install the latest kernel.

All kernels above 4.13.X (i.e. 4.14.X & 4.15.X) do NOT work and cause the panics I've been mentioning.

FIX:

The fix for my system was to update the BIOS. I had checked prior but confirmed with the wrong version. After flashing the ROM, Fedora has successfully loaded and run with the newest kernel.

For instructions on how to get that working, please visit the following link:
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...t/true#M134271

The solution/answer post found on that page will contain a download link for the BIOS update (DOS Flash.zip). Do note however, that this is for the HP DC5800 microtower.

Unzip the contents of the archive onto a USB or CD and boot your tower. Once at the BIOS, simply update your BIOS and you should be good to go.

The bug reference is located here:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1520265

This has officially fixed my issue and I am no longer receiving kernel panics (for the moment).

For those of you running Fedora on a HP machine with similar specs (and receiving kernel panics), I would highly advise checking out your BIOS and seeing if it needs an update.

A big Thank You to the community for giving their input on the manner.

Cheers,

T.R.G.