FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Need to upgrade my laptop from Fedora 25 to 26

Hello,

I've been using Fedora 25 for almost two years on my laptop now and was quite content with it. But because F25 reached its end of life I need to upgrade now to F27.

Though I initially installed F25 back then from the Xfce Spin Live ISO, I now would prefer to install from a non-live medium, preferably in text mode.
    Would this require me to install from the Fedora 27 Server DVD or Netinstall ISO?

I definitely don't want to try an upgrade install (even if it was feasible from 25 to 27), but a fresh install into the already existing partitions or LVs, only reformatting those (i.e. mkfs.ext4) required (i.e. /, /var, /tmp, swap) while keeping others untouched (e.g. /boot, /home, /data).

Btw. is it sensible to keep the old FS on /boot and let the installer just put the new kernel and initrd there and have a grub entry added myself for F27 post-install, because I have the EFI stuff as submount and grub entries for Windows as well as loopback sysrecuecd.iso which I would like to keep?

I have full disk luks encryption (apart from /boot), which slightly complicates repair or install.
    But I can remember the the installer would let luksOpen my containers and then select swap and PVs/VGs/LVs interactively, though it was a little convoluted manoeuvring back and forth.
    What it couldn't cope with however, was when I opened and prepared my devices/install targets in a shell in another virtual terminal manually, for it would always trip and needed to be aborted eventually.
    Don't know if the installer has changed in F27 dramatically.

What still is a bit unclear to me, how I could make sure to get all the packages installed that I currently use (or rather have installed) in F25.

When I collect a list, like e.g.

Code:
    [root@lenolap:~]
    # { printf "\n%%packages\n\n";rpm -qa --qf %{name}\\n|sort;printf "\n%%end\n"; }|tee -a ~/my.ks
    then I wonder how to make the distinctions between namesake RPMs where I additionally have the 32bit libraries installed.

e.g.
    Code:
    # rpm -q --qf %{name}:%{version}:%{release}:%{arch}\\n zlib
    zlib:1.2.8:10.fc24:x86_64
    zlib:1.2.8:10.fc24:i686
    And what about those group install packages, though I only seem to have two of them installed.
    All the RPMs within such a group would need to be subtracted from the above list, I guess?

Anyway, maybe I should simply care for the remaining packages of my list after installation, and if some of them already have been installed from a group, I guess they merely would be skipped by dnf.

Code:
    # dnf group list installed
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:15:40 ago on Sun Feb 18 17:27:30 2018.
    Installed groups:
       C Development Tools and Libraries
       Development Tools

# dnf group info Development\ Tools
    Last metadata expiration check: 0:17:40 ago on Sun Feb 18 17:27:30 2018.

Group: Development Tools
     Description: These tools include general development tools such as git and CVS.
     Mandatory Packages:
       gettext
     Default Packages:
       diffstat
       doxygen
       git
       patch
       patchutils
       subversion
       systemtap
     Optional Packages:
       archmage
       buildbot
       bzr
       colordiff
       cvs
       cvs2cl
       cvsgraph
       cvsps
       darcs
       dejagnu
       expect
       gambas3-ide
       giggle
       git-annex
       git-cola
       git2cl
       gitg
       gtranslator
       highlight
       lcov
       manedit
       meld
       mercurial
       monotone
       mr
       nemiver
       qgit
       quilt
       rapidsvn
       rcs
       robodoc
       scanmem
       subunit
       svn2cl
       tailor
       tig
       tkcvs
       tortoisehg
       translate-toolkit
       utrac

Re: Need to upgrade my laptop from Fedora 25 to 26

then I wonder how to make the distinctions between namesake RPMs where I additionally have the 32bit libraries installed.
    Use `rpm -q --qf "%{name}.%{arch}\n"` format to built your list. That way package architecture will be noted as well. You can have already installed packages in your list, they will just be skipped. You could even try the command `sudo dnf history userinstalled`, maybe that would built a complete list of your packages. But keep previous list as backup just in case. Note that `userinstalled` specifies epoch as well which is unwanted when passing to `install` command.

Hello strakitnican,

thank you for your quick reply.

I wasn't sure that I could simply append the %{arch} info period-separated from the package name, just omitting the version and release Nos. (which wouldn't make much sense, as they are most likely superseded).
    That will help.

Use the network install version and select the options to reformat slash, swap, biosboot.Do not reformat /home. After the installation, do a dnf group list and select the groups of interest to you. Thereafter, review the list you created and reinstall the apps that you "MUST HAVE".
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Hello Isatenstein,

Yesterday night I did the F27 install from the Server Net Install ISO.
    After having booted from it I did the rudimentary setup like LANG, TZ, NIC and closest F27 repo mirror as installation source.
    The only tricky part was the setup of the install target, where I chose custom partitioning.
    After a first, somewhat futile leg I tried the advanced graphical partitioning editor (i.e. the landscape view),
    and in it I was able to open my LUKS devices which hold the LVM structure, from where I could checkbox for ext4 formatting
    lv_root, lv_var in vg_fedora, and swap as separate LUKS container on sd10, and /boot on sd5.
    The only little off-putting experience was that somehow in the wake of target selection my lv_home got lost.
    Of course, as I made a backup of all valuable data in advance this wasn't much of an issue.

Because I started rather late in the night I need to continue tonight with the post-install setup and fixes.

I realized that the 100 GiB that I allocated for lv_root was a bit of waste. So I want to reduce it to half
    to release some 50 GiB which I want to use for the rebuild of lv_home.
    I know that resizing of the Root FS can only be done in rescue mode,
    since I need to umount /, run a fsck on it to be able to shrink the FS with a "resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg_fedora-lv_root 50G",
    and only then "lvreduce -L 50g /dev/mapper/vg_fedora-lv_root".

I now wonder, how I would enter rescue or maintenance mode.

Should I transit into rescue or emergency mode like
    e.g.
    Code:
    # systemctl isolate rescue.target

or 

# systemctl isolate emergency.target
    Or should I rather append in grub boot selection menu the kernel params "rd.break enforcing=0"?

I think there lead many roads to Rome.

Adding the following kernel parameter to grub should do the trick: `systemd.unit=rescue.target`

Hello srakitnican,

actually booting into rescue.target didn't work since / there was already mounted, and it wouldn't unmount even when I issued "umount -f /".
    I had to boot from my install USB stick with the Netinstall Server ISO, from where I could easily luksOpen the partition containing my vg_fedora,
    then vgchange -ay vg_fedora, then e2fsck -f /dev/mapper/vg_fedora-lv_root; resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg_fedora-lv_root 50G, and finally
    lvreduce -f -L 50g /dev/mapper/vg_fedora-lv_root.

I even rediscovered my /home FS which I had feared to have overriden during the installation by some mistaken target selection in the partitioning UI of the installer.
    It was simply wrapped in another LUKS container on a anoter sda partition, and in another separate VG.
    I admit that this kind of layout is a bit convoluted. But after I had entered an entry for this LUKS container in /etc/crypttab and a corresponding entry for the mount /home
    which references the dm map (i.e. luks-<UUID>) , and rebooting, all my missing filesystems were automagically mounted by systemd,
    and I could proceed recreating passwd and shadow entries through useradd.

Then I faced the issue of having no GUI, although I had systemctl set-default to graphical.target.

Realizing that no Desktop Environment got installed, I then installed the group "Desktop Xfce" through dnf, and rebootet.
    But yet, the X-Server didn't want to start, and I regreted not having done the installation of F27 from the Xfce Spin Live ISO,
    where I remember that the GUI worked out of the box after installation.

Before nuking my fresh F27 installation I gave it a desperate try by issuing a dnf group install "Fedora Workstation" which pulled in a plethora of RPMs
    among which the GNOME desktop got installed.
    Yet, systemd wouldn't boot into the GUI desktop, but I could startx as !root user which started Gnome.
    At least I then could run programs which required a GUI, but to be honest, I couldn't get used to the handling of Gnome.
    However, I can now issue a startxfce4 from multi-user.target.

Maybe someone can tell me, what still needs to be done, that I can boot into graphical.target where X gets started automatically and a graphical login box would appear?
    Addinitinally installing the little tool switchdesk, and switching to xfce didn't help either.

I believe rescue.target mounts the / partition read only. But yes, doing operations on partitions is best done from another system.

What you want is a display manager. Default on Fedora is GDM. Not sure if it will work with another desktop environment, but you can try it by starting and enabling display-manager.service which is a symbolic link to gdm.service by default.

Hello srakitnican,

yes, you were right. Though I already had gdm installed, it wasn't enabled.
    Having enabled it now boots into a gdm login window.

I still have an issue with a pesky window that pops up after login and demands me to unlock a keyring.
    To be honest, I have no idea which keyring this refers to, although I might have unknowingly confirmed creation of such a keyring during installation, but of course cannot remember the password.
    Do you have an idea where to look in order to switch off this pop-up?

Gnome keyring stores all the secrets (like passwords or keys). It is used to make it easier to login to different services. Keyring usually gets unlocked automatically on login using the same password that is used to login to the DE.

I am not sure how to disable it though, I am thinking PAM (pluggable authentication module) possibly. Take a look here for an inspiration: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._outside_GNOME

Since the PAM module is optional, I believe removing the module should disable it (package gnome-keyring-pam). Unfortunately removing this package seems to also remove gnome-shell.
    Code:
    $ grep keyring /etc/pam.d/*
    /etc/pam.d/cinnamon-screensaver:auth       optional     pam_gnome_keyring.so
    /etc/pam.d/cinnamon-screensaver:#auth       optional     pam_gnome_keyring.so
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin:-auth      optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin:session    optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-password:auth        optional      pam_gnome_keyring.so
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-password:-password   optional       pam_gnome_keyring.so use_authtok
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-password:session     optional      pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-pin:auth        optional      pam_gnome_keyring.so
    /etc/pam.d/gdm-pin:session     optional      pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
    /etc/pam.d/lightdm:-auth       optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so
    /etc/pam.d/lightdm:-session    optional    pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
    /etc/pam.d/passwd:-password   optional	pam_gnome_keyring.so use_authtok

Hello srakitnican,

many thanks for your continuous help.

Fumbling with PAM to me is always a little scary and ticklish, since you can quite easily lock yourself out if you are unwary.
    So I probably will only do that after I have familiarized myself a little with the Gnome keyring, though I'm pretty sure that I have no need for such a tool, as I know how to keep track of all my important keys and usually know how they are generated and modified and where they are stored (e.g. LUKS, SSH, gpg, OpenSSL etc.)
    But mentioning Gnome as the culprit was a great help. I'm just a bit puzzled that Gnome coerces me into its very own keyring stuff, although I don't even intend to use the Gnome Desktop but rather Xfce.

I think that I will find some useful hints here in the Arch Wiki.
    It even has a section on not remembered passwords.

Currently there is a keyring daemon parent with one child running.
    Code:
    # ps -www -fp $(pgrep -d, -f gnome-keyring-daemon)
    UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
    fiddle    2583     1  0 12:07 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
    fiddle    3067  2567  0 12:07 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --foreground --components=secrets
    Maybe it would suffice if merely commented out the execution of the daemon here globally?
    Code:
    # grep -i ^exec= /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-*
    /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop:Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11
    /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-secrets.desktop:Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=secrets
    /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop:Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=ssh
    But I should thoroughly read the article in the ArchWiki first...
    Last edited by dimwit; 25th February 2018 at 12:50 PM.

I didn't read the whole post. But just to throw wrenches at people...

I never upgrade. You can and there is a way to do it but ... I don't. Its to much work and to hard and prone to error and it leaves crap on the system.

What I do is put home on its on partition, LV, whatever... If I had other data I needed then put that on their own partitions. In the install, select custom disk layout, and set the partitions you want to be at the correct mount point and DONT select format or make sure its unselected. Then I format all the other partitions.

once i reboot, login at command line as root, move my old home to user-old. mkdir a new home dir. login with my user and make sure everything is working and then >COPY< the files I need from my old dir into my new dir. Once I have been running for awhile and I am sure there is nothing else I need i just delete my old home dir. I move my home dir so any new versions of apps can create new config files, keeps old versions of config files from jacking up new versions of applications.

This way never fails. Its easy, fast and effective. If I wasnt sure, If i could successfully do it this way I would copy my entire home dir to a USB drive as a backup. I use this method to jump between distros all the time too.