FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

"Six year old threads are not the proper place for airing issues. "

Hi Bob..for a recent post I made on an age-old thread you closed it with "Six year old threads are not the proper place for airing issues. You should start a new one. This thread's CLOSED."

Question is, (and I see this in many OSS forums, which I guess use the same s/w) - why isn't this auto-detected by the s/w ? We normally miss such things, threads need to be closed automatically or by mods in time instead of getting whack-a-moled and wasting our time !

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Re: "Six year old threads are not the proper place for airing issues. "

Well, to make things even more interesting, here's the Posting Rules: https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...amp-Guidelines (written, at least in part, by me ) Yeah, you're supposed to PM me with questions like this, but let's get to answering it anyhoo. We actually have some threads that last for years and years and years (mostly about what tunes you're listening to) and we don't have an automagic 'close' for threads built in. Then too, we're volunteers who have lives to live and beer to drink, so checking the dates on old threads and determining what's good and what's not is outside of our pay grade ($0.00) . In short, we have to rely on the members to take a look at the content of the thread and see if it's ancient or related to an obsolete version of Fedora. As to wasting your time, any issue you're bringing to the Forum is worthy of it's own thread, not taped to someone else's, right?
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

YesSireeBob !

As just another user I will say that almost all of us have accidentally posted to old threads. If I had some reason for doing it on these forums, (that is, if I had a reason to deliberately do it, noticing the thread was old), I will add an explanation, such as googling brings this up as one of the first hits, or, although this thread is ancient, the problem persists, or something similar.

There's no real shame in accidentally doing it, in which case, the mods will, rightfully, IMHO, do as Bob did, close it, mention that it's old and leave it at that. They're nicer about it than some other forums as a rule.
    Last edited by smr54; 17th February 2018 at 02:59 AM.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

(We constantly monitor smr54 - he's trouble )
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

I've mellowed in my old age.