FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question Two issues

I have two issues that I can't figure out.

Issue 1: I just installed the Xfce spin on a computer. When I log in, I get an SELINUX Troubleshooter icon appearing in my Notification Area on my main panel. When I click on it, it opens and tells me that there are no alerts. What is happening and how do I fix it?

Isse 2: On the new computer, I have it connected to a monitor via an HDMI to DVI cable. When LightDM starts up, I get a message about "Unsupported Resolution" in a box that moves about the screen. I had that when I first logged in but was able to change the Xfce's display settings to the proper 1400x900 native monitor resolution. However, despite following the instructions I found and creating a lightdmxrandr.sh script and modifying the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file to point to it with display-setup-script, it does not change the resolution so I still get the "Unsupported Resolution" message when I boot up or if I log out of my session. I tried changing to lxdm instead of lightdm, but it makes no difference.

The resolution it is trying to use is 1400x1050, which is not a supported resolution according to the monitor docs. That it works at all is surprising. Is this a bug when using an HDMI connection? As soon as I locate one, I will try a DVI cable instead. I could also use a VGA cable, but would expect HDMI to work.
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Re: Two issues

I do not have a spare DVI cable, but I do have a spare VGA cable. I connected it via that instead of the HDMI to DVI cable. I observed no difference in behavior. The login screen is still using 1400x1050 and not the proper 1440x900 (I typed it wrong above). However, the monitor is just displaying with the incorrect setting and not showing the "Unsupported Resolution" box. It is cutting off part of the top and bottom but otherwise is okay. Since I configured the display setting, it changes when I log in to use the correct resolution.

Hardware configuration (using lshw-gui):
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
    CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU
    VGA compatible controller: Nvidia G92 (GeForce 9800 GT); driver: nouveau
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

Bump
    I am still getting the SELinux Alert Browser's icon appearing in the notification area on login. It isn't only on my desktop system, but also my netbook. I usually run Xfce, but on my netbook, I installed Lxde and observed the same behavior.

Why is this appearing? When I click on the icon to launch the SELinux Alert Browser, it opens with "No Alerts." It never used to do this. How do I get it to stop?
    StephenH

Regarding the HDMI cable, you may need to bring up the monitor menu (independent of the computer) and make some adjustments.

I'm getting a "selinux: avc: denied" regarding gdm in the journal, but no alerts when the SELinux Alert Browser is opened - though I'm not getting an alert icon like you are - I'm using a Gnome desktop. Don't know how to stop it.

I'm not running gdm, so that can't be the issue. I am using LightDM.
    StephenH

I think dswaner isn't seeing the sealert icon because Gnome doesn't have a system tray. I'm using Mate, which has a system tray, and I see the sealert icon after a boot and login like StephenH. This has been going on for a few weeks, and I'm not sure whether the bug is in sealert or systemd. These two lines show up in journalctl:
    Code:
    $ journalctl | grep sealert
    Feb 27 11:00:26 Mobile-PC dbus-daemon[1378]: [session uid=1000 pid=1378] Activating service name='org.fedoraproject.Setroubleshootd' requested by ':1.47' (uid=1000 pid=1859 comm="/usr/bin/python3 -Es /usr/bin/sealert -b " label="unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023")

Feb 27 11:00:27 Mobile-PC dbus-daemon[787]: [system] Activating service name='org.fedoraproject.Setroubleshootd' requested by ':1.51' (uid=1000 pid=1863 comm="/usr/bin/python3 -Es /usr/bin/sealert -s " label="unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023") (using servicehelper)
    The second line has been there forever, it just starts the sealert service. The first line is new, and it starts the sealart browser, whether or not there's an active alert. If anybody has a good idea which component to report this against, I'll be happy to write the bugzilla report.

dd_wizard