How to enable horizontal scroll with middle mouse click scroll wheel on Fedora 27?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How to enable horizontal scroll with middle mouse click scroll wheel on Fedora 27?

Hi guys,

Anyone knows how to enable horizontal scrolling with middle mouse click on the scroll wheel?

Cannot find it in Settings > Mouse & Touchpad

Thank you!

Re: How to enable horizontal scroll with middle mouse click scroll wheel on Fedora 27

I believe any such setting would be in window manager or application settings, since the mouse has no control over how applications interpret the mouse buttons, except to reverse the scroll direction.

You could probably re-map the up-down scroll buttons (buttons 4 and 5) to horizontal scroll buttons (button 6 and 7) using some command-line tool like xinput. But then you will either be scrolling both vertically and horizontally or lose vertical scrolling depending on how you map the buttons.

If you have a mouse that has both up-down scroll and left-right middle button clicks, most applications will detect and use that (I tested with firefox and gimp.)

Otherwise some applications allow you to hold down a special key (like Shift) to scroll horizontally using up-down scroll buttons (I verified that firefox and gimp use Shift to scroll horizontally too)

PS: I also found that Logitech wireless driver solaar allows you to turn on/off side scrolling. Check if that was turned off in case you happen to have wireless Logitech mouse with side scroll.

Re: How to enable horizontal scroll with middle mouse click scroll wheel on Fedora 27

Hey thanks! Didn't expect it to be so complicated.

Essentially looking for a way to scroll horizontally in Google Chrome pressing middle mouse button.

PS: Anyone knows if there exists a dconf setting I can tweak?

In menu system settings is entry name "mouse and touchpad".

Quote Originally Posted by piotrw127
    In menu system settings is entry name "mouse and touchpad".
    I don't have any option for horizontal scrolling. Can you please show me a screenshot?

Thanks!