FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Help me to enable "snap" on my Fedora

Hi.

I like to enable "snap" & use it on my system.

1st I install "snap" by:

sudo dnf install snap

but latter on, I saw in package manager the following packages:

"snap-confine" , "snap-gtk" , "snapd" which are not installed on my system !

Then I searched & found following link:
    https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/install-fedora

it said use following:
    sudo dnf install snapd

So, I remove "snap" by "sudo dnf remove snap" & I decided to post this question to avoid any mistakes ...

Please I need to use snap from a snap GUI. What is difference between "snap-gtk" & "snapd" ? It seem to me - correct to me if wrong - both are snap GUI. Which is the best ?

Also, is there will be problem from enable snap on Fedora ? I have already on my system dnfdragora, dnfdragora-updater, & GNOME software center.

Best.
    Fedora 26 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)

Re: Help me to enable "snap" on my Fedora

read those instructions carefully. you need snapd or nothing will be able to run. I'm not sure what the other packages are (or if they even relate to the same thing) as I don't personally care for or want to use snaps. however the snap daemon service is self explanatory as per the quote below from the instructions you linked to.

snapd, the service you need to install to run and manage snaps, is available on many distributions
    Code:
    sudo dnf install snapd sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap
    sudo systemctl start snapd.service
    sudo systemctl enable snapd.service
    Now everything is set up to get you started with snaps. then refer to how to use them

https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/usage

Re: Help me to enable "snap" on my Fedora

Snaps will increase scope of application available to you. But unfortunately only little because, currently, few application use snaps system !

Snaps packages are double size of original package ! Package of 200 MB will be on snap about 400 !! Something bad, but I think it use to include ALL needed dependencies in the package.

Bad point: snap has no GUI that can be used to browse, install, remove ....... You have to go for snaps web page & use it's search engine for browse available applications. While you have to use terminal for install/remove snaps.
    Fedora 26 X64 bit Cinnamon edition on Lenovo ThinkPad e550 with Intel core i7 5500 CPU @ 2.40 GH X 2, RAM = 8 GB, HHD = 1 TB, Hybrid VGA (Intel Corporation HD Graphic 5500 + Radeon R7 M265 2GB)