FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Help with getting nouveau to use 1920x1080 resolution

Hi,

I just did a fresh Fedora 27 install. During the Live session, the resolution was at 1024x768 so didn't think anything of it and proceeded with the install. However, booting into the install I noticed that the resolution was still at 1024x768. lsmod | grep nouveau shows that it is loaded. xrandr only gives me 1024x768 information I already know about. I'm not going to be doing heavy 3D graphics stuff but would like at least a decent resolution on my 23 inch widescreen monitor.

System info:
    1TB hard drive
    8GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8600 GT
    Intel Core i3 processor

Please let me know if you still need the output of any of the commands. Thank you.
    Thy will be done...

Re: Help with getting nouveau to use 1920x1080 resolution

First try the gui tool for setting the display - in Gnome: Settings / Devices / Displays. If no luck there, you could try adding "video=1920x1080@60" to the kernel line in grub when you're booting, and if that works, add the parameter to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub and run grub2-mkconfig. That "@60" refresh rate should maybe be something higher...

Wow, this is bizarro! So I manually added the video line at boot and it worked. Edited /etc/default/grub, added the same video line as suggested, ran grub2-mkconfig, rebooted, but the resolution didn't stick. I repeated the steps and this time I looked at the output from grub2-mkconfig. The video line I added to the grub file was ignored. Fine so I searched online and found out about GRUB_GFXMODE='1920x1080x32' and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=keep. Added those lines, ran the config, rebooted, still nothing. It's like the config tool or the boot process is ignoring the edits.
    Thy will be done...

Oh forgot to mention that I pressed 'c' at the grub menu, ran vbeinfo, and I didn't see 1920x1080 listed. The highest it found was 1600x1200. So I made the changes in /etc/default/grub to '1600x1200x32', rebooted, still stuck in 1024x768 land.
    Thy will be done...

I suggest using the rpmfusion drivers. you'll need the legacy 8/9/200 driver version

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...CategoryHowto)

do the rpmfusion repository configuration first if you haven't already added them

https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

By any chance are you forgetting to specify the output file when you run grub2-mkconfig? (I've done that enough times.)

I searched for 'linux kvm switch low resolution' and found that the issue is not with any distro. Apparently, when using a KVM switch, the monitor can't communicate enough information to the linux OS for it to detect the best resolution to use. It's something called EDID(?) which says "hey, my recommended resolution is 1920x1080 @ 60Hz".

When I saw that it worked by manually using the 'video=' line at boot, it gave me a glimpse of hope. Not even specifying the output file for grub2-mkconfig did the trick. Nor installing the rpmfusion legacy drivers. The latter one actually made the whole video system go berserk. LOL It kept flickering like crazy.

So there you have it. My solution: since the kvm switch works fine with the Windows box and my raspberry pi via VGA, I'm going to connect a DVI cable directly from the monitor to the linux box and use the monitor's built-in buttons to switch ports.

Still, I appreciate you guys helping me brainstorm through this issue. Thank you.
    Thy will be done...

Quote Originally Posted by caffewmilk
    Wow, this is bizarro! So I manually added the video line at boot and it worked. Edited /etc/default/grub, added the same video line as suggested, ran grub2-mkconfig, rebooted, but the resolution didn't stick. I repeated the steps and this time I looked at the output from grub2-mkconfig. The video line I added to the grub file was ignored. Fine so I searched online and found out about GRUB_GFXMODE='1920x1080x32' and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=keep. Added those lines, ran the config, rebooted, still nothing. It's like the config tool or the boot process is ignoring the edits.
    Remember the way you use grub2-mkconfig is different between EFI and BIOS boot (the path to the output grub file is different), are you sure the edits you make are making it to the kernel? Do the edits you want, run your grub2-mkconfig command, reboot and confirm the options you expect with.

cat /proc/cmdline

that will show what the kernel options are for the running kernel. (NOTE I'm sort of repeating the post #6 question)