Installation problems screen keeps freezing
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Installation problems screen keeps freezing

I am installing Linux fedora on my Acer laptop, but it keeps freezing at the point where it says "installing boot loader. ". This is my first time installing Linux so I am not that knowledgeable in this area.

Edit1: The whole screen freezes, I can't move the mouse or anything not just the installation process

Re: Installation problems screen keeps freezing

See if you are using secure boot UEFI and turn that off from BIOS setup.

I would search the internet such as https://linux-laptop.net/ to see if anyone installed Linux on your specific Acer model.

Acer could have some default partitioning that confuses Linux installer. Doing some reearch on the hardware before embarking on Linux install may be in order, unless you buy laptops specifically made for Linux. Many laptops are geared for Windows, so they were never tested for Linux, which means you may end up doing the testing yourself.

Most times Linux do work, but there may be some pesky issues that manufacturers never bother to test for supporting Linux for no good reason, especially for cheap monopolies where they cut corners and not test for global standards or multiplatform support.

I also recommend starting with Mint Linux distribution if you are starting with Linux.

Another idea - how long did you wait before you canceled/aborted? Having been there several times, I now walk away from the machine during that period for 10-15 minutes so my impatience doesn't force me to stop what's actually working, albeit slowly. I've avoided many a 'start from scratch again' that way.

- just a thought -
    Change - the only constant.

Volkov99 wrote:
    I am installing Linux fedora on my Acer laptop, but it keeps freezing at the point where it says "installing boot loader. ".
    If the installation gets that far, it's nearly installed. I've had that message, and a freeze up, when installing onto an EFI capable machine and inadvertently installing from a dvd iso whilst not in EFI mode. What I had to do was hit the key which showed all boot options ... (it's a function key on my machine and it appears as an option on the first screen with options that appears) ... and then I chose the EFI dvd option. Then it installed the boot loader.

If the machine is a BIOS only machine, and you are getting that message, then it's also possible that there's an option in the BIOS to choose a "legacy" or "unix" operating system option somewhere, as opposed to M$, which may help. That's also helped me in the past.

The installation medium itself should check out okay of course. That's probably the first thing to try if it hasn't been done.
    Last edited by nsnbm; 4th February 2018 at 08:58 AM.