FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Clean dual boot on UEFI , possible?

Hi, I have successfully installed Fed 27 on a Dell Latitude 3330 but I want simple, clean boot menu to chose between win and Fed. I currently have to mess with BIOS each time.

1. If I set the UEFI to use the Fedora start menu it get three choises : Fed ; Fed recsue and Win boot menu.

That would be about what I want except that Win8 bitches that it was not started "correctly" and wants to reboot ....

2. If I set UEFi to use win menu it ignores Fed and bangs straight into win8, no choices.

Is there a way to get what I used to be able to do with Grub and BIOS where I boot straight to a menu and click either Win or Fedora?

Thx

Re: Clean dual boot on UEFI , possible?

I use rEFInd, it's the lowest maintenance and slickest option for dual (or more) boot system setups

I have two windows 10/fedora dual boot laptops, and both will boot directly to grub with grub choices for fedora and windows. Both machines have Secure Boot enabled, and I didn't have to use any special software. I installed Fedora to unallocated space on the hard drive and let the installer create necessary partitions/lvm volumes, no pre-partitioning before installation. I used the computer boot menu to ensure the fedora live usb stick was booted in uefi/secure boot, and after it booted to Fedora I used the "insstall to hard disk" option provided.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

thanks for the replies.

It kinda sorted itself out. I think the problem with Windows was just a one-off fsck thing since I had used Fedora live boot to shrink the win8 partition. Instead of just fscking and getting on with it made an incorrect report that it had not been started correctly and insisted on rebooting. ( Windows solution for everything including acid reflux and haemorrhoids. ).

It ain't pretty , as Doug's set up sounds to be, but it is the basic functionality which I need. I just get a very basic three lines of text, but it works.

I did get caught out the first time, not realising that I needed to make it boot the installer in UEFI mode. This led to anaconda crashing in a very messy way with loads of zombies and needing a reboot. It has also by that time screwed up the boot process so that the windows partition was not longer bootable. Not impressed.

That should be trapped a lot better and an lot earlier.

Thanks fellas.

A small follow-up, FWIW I always use windows disk management to shrink the windows partiton and free up unallocated space.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======