Fedora Hangs - FC26
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora Hangs - FC26

I have been experiencing a problem for several days recently. If I leave my computer for a while (like dinner) and come back, it is hung. Moving the mouse does nothing. Pressing any keys do nothing. Ctrl-Alt_f2 does nothing. I must power off then back on to get my system back, I have looked at Messages and can see nothing that warns about dying. This will happen every day or every other day. My system never stays up for more than 3 days before hanging. The best thing I can offer is a piece of Messages from before the hang to after I reboot.

Is there any other place I should look at for possible causes? I tried Xorg.0.log and Xorg.1.log. Nothing stands out there. I looked for /var/log/dmesg but there was not one there.

I noticed several Starting dnf makecache.. messages right before the hang. Thinking that this might be a problem, I tried to stop this but it looks like I was not successful. What is the proper way to stop this and keep it stopped over reboot?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Fedora Hangs - FC26

Are you using Cinnamon?
    I have problem with Cinnamon using upwards of 4+ GB of RAM over 3 to 4 days. If I'm running a lot of other software and use all of the available RAM the system crashes. I haven't done any troubleshooting, I reboot every few days and its fine.

No, I am using KDE as the desktop.

Hung again. It does not seem to want to come up after being idle for some time. I have attached the messages from midnight till I went to use it again. Here is the last message recorded before I had to reboot.

Feb 10 05:14:02 Vince2 audit[1]: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=NetworkManager-dispatcher comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'

What is being stopped? Will that prevent it from coming back up?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am being curious as I observed similiar troubles on some of my system. What CPU and graphic card?
    Fedora 23
    KDE Frameworks 5.14

description: Motherboard
    product: X99P-SLI-CF
    vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    description: CPU
    product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    vendor: Intel Corp.
    memory: 16 gb
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Baffin [Radeon RX 560]
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]

I think I was able to stop the dnf_makecache process and that has helped some (I think) as the crashes are less frequent.

Any thoughts as to the service mentioned in my last post?

Uh, okay. This is completely different from what I was expecting. I am observing lots of random and strange hangs on old i7 generations (Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge) that seems to be introduced with the Meltdown/Spectre fixes. Somehow in combination of modern NVIDIA GPU and firefox ... no real idea how to describe, but its a feeling. You have however a modern Intel and Radeon, so very likely something different. Even tho when freezing there is often no single log entry that giving any indication of what it might be.

No good idea. But I have my doubts that your issue is really related to the NetworkManager or networking in general.
    Fedora 23
    KDE Frameworks 5.14

why does your post #4 attached txt file show you're blacklisting nouveau (last line in txt file) when your GPU is a AMD RX560 ?
    and the "rd.blacklist=nouveau" is on the line twice which is odd.
    It's probably not a cause of your hang but it's not necessary or does your laptop have a weird combo of nvidia and amd graphics (is there such a thing? I've only heard of amd+intel or intel+nvidia combos)

Feb 10 10:52:03 Vince2 kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.14.14-200.fc26.x86_64 root=UUID=735486c3-f01e-4758-9bd2-2949c3406597 ro rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau LANG=en_US.UTF-8

I looked for /var/log/dmesg but there was not one there.
    dmesg effectively is stored off in /var/log/messages there is no /var/log/dmesg now

compare "dmesg -T" and the end of /var/log/messages and you'll see the similarity, unfortunately the latter fills up with extra junk that doesn't show in dmesg so it's hard to see they are similar (use "less /var/log/messages" go to the end with "G" and search backwards with "?string" to find the last "string" in dmesg, then they look similar)
    Last edited by marko; 11th February 2018 at 11:44 PM.

Marko, I had an Nvidia card that died and replaced it with an ATI. It looks like I need to remove the blacklist of nouveau. Thanks for the comment.

the issue will be kernel/amdgpu unified driver related but removing the blacklist entries for nouveau won't necessarily make any difference since AMD hardware cannot use nouveau modules anyhow. it still makes sense to remove those redundant commands from the boot parameters though.

Hung again. This time I was able to ssh into the pc from my laptop. I tried top and iotop. Both responded. I did not see anything unusual. Is it possible x11 or kde died? Now that I can get in how can I determine why it is hung or what is hung? Here is a link to the messages from before the hang till after the reboot
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yu...j-ijc6Exa6N7w0
    . It includes the messages from when I tried to ssh into the pc. I had forgotten the ssh syntax so please excuse the ssh error messages.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Vince Radice

Hello Vince,

My new machine with AMD graphics had been presenting issues like the ones you describe (constant hanging, sometimes not even been able to log in), both in F27 and F28 (x86-64). The DM I use is GNOME. The machine worked very well in text mode as well (local or SSH).

The first "solution" that worked for me was the "nomodeset" boot parameter for the Kernel (in the linux line). This is, however, a workaround that seems to avoid using the GPU's full potential (some graphics were laggy).

Just today I installed the package "xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu", and rebooted without the "nomodeset" parameter. It is working great so far.

Hope this helps you,
    Joe.
    Notebook: Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4829
    AMD Turion X2 RM-70 @ 2.0GHz, 4GB DDR2,
    128GB ADATA SSD, PIONEER DVD-RW.
    Fedora 27 x86-64.

Joe, when your pc was hung did you try to ssh in from another computer to see if the underlying os was running and the desktop was all that was hung? That is what I experienced.

Does anyone know if I can ssh in and somehow restart the desktop? I am running KDE as the desktop manager.

Also should I post this problem on the KDE and/or x11 forums?

Thanks,
    Vince Radice

Hello Vince,

I was able to SSH into the machine, I was not able to restart the graphic environment (which has the problem), maybe I did not try hard enough. In my case I also noticed that the problem could happen as soon as I tried to log in.

My machine is still working very good with the package "xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu"

Thanks,
    joe.
    Notebook: Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4829
    AMD Turion X2 RM-70 @ 2.0GHz, 4GB DDR2,
    128GB ADATA SSD, PIONEER DVD-RW.
    Fedora 27 x86-64.