FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Live USB stick , booting UEFI vs. no UEFI

So, upon a fresh Xfce spin reinstall today, using a 2GB old SSD card plugged into a USB card reader, I booted it, and I saw a very odd "smaller white letter" initial install menu , you know when you get asked to Start Fedora live, or test the media... I thought that was odd.

So I go into live, and then I tried installing to hard drive, and interestingly, the disk partitioning tool did not let me just create a / and a swap. It was asking me to create /boot/efi

I do have bad experiences with a separate /boot partition, which basically fills up with old kernels every time we upgrade, so I decided to go ahead, what the heck, just give it 2GB.

Finished installation, disabled selinux, dnf upgraded, installed rpmfusion+nvidia, and I went to dinner.
    Only to find out my machine has rebooted itself upon returning !!!!!!!!!!! this is my new Ryzen PC, and this had never happened before.

Soooo.. I decided to investigate a bit. I rebooted, and went into the BIOS to see what boot options I get, I just wanted to get the good ol' Fedora initial boot menu from the Live stick, with the BLUE letters.

Interestingly, in the BIOS I saw 3!!! instances of the same 2GB USB stick, 2 of them said "UEFI Generic Storage Device", and the other one said "Generic Storage Device", so I made sure my BIOS used the non-UEFI one for booting.

Voilla, I was able to install perfect, saw the blue large letter initial menu, and went ahead fine without having to create the /boot/efi partition. Like I want. And so far after a few hours, the system is working perfect without any reboots.

anyone care to explain why the UEFI option ? and why it selected itself as default ?
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Re: Live USB stick , booting UEFI vs. no UEFI

Here,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4920_smaller.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	29334

and it's the same Memory stick:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4915_smaller.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	29335

the order is set by your UEFI options. look in boot configuration and see if you can switch to prioritise legacy over UEFI (or just do what it says in the second screen and drag them to the order you want, then save changes before exiting). It's common to have the same device listed more than once though. It's not specific to Fedora media, the same happens with any other Linux distribution or Windows ISO too that can boot in either UEFI or legacy mode. Is this your first system with UEFI?

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    Is this your first system with UEFI?
    No, I have seen it in a laptop before, and quickly switched the bios to Legacy mode.
    However in the PC world, yeah, first one I have personally installed (my brother install my servers, and he's been told to always choose legacy).

But like I said, in UEFI mode, it yielded an unstable system.