FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How can I tell that Fedora is using more than one core of my 4 core cpu?

I am using Gnome, and it has an interesting extension named "Freon". Freon shows a great amount of thermal information about your system.

In that regard, most of the time my desktop quadcore cpu idles around 45C. I got to pondering about Linux's task scheduling. I tried to find a way to discover if some Linux tasks are using the other three cores. Its not apparent to me that Fedora is multi-processor oriented during the boot process, or when performing I/O.

Around 2012, I wrote some file encryption programs using DES3. (Triple DES). I set up a shell script to encrypt and decrypt a large file. Encryption an decryption is very cpu intensive. What I discovered, is that the CPU throttles itself if it's temperature exceeds 70C. I was surprised also that the three remaining cores in the quadcore package did not show activity. I set up two encryption jobs and again, using top command, was unable to see if work was distributed to all cores.

I am hoping that I am wrong, in that assuming that when a core reaches 70C, all the remaining cores are throttled.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: How can I tell that Fedora is using more than one core of my 4 core cpu?

GNOME System Monitor shows activity per core

https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-s...-check.html.en

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Around 2012, I wrote some file encryption programs using DES3. (Triple DES). I set up a shell script to encrypt and decrypt a large file. Encryption an decryption is very cpu intensive. What I discovered, is that the CPU throttles itself if it's temperature exceeds 70C. I was surprised also that the three remaining cores in the quadcore package did not show activity. I set up two encryption jobs and again, using top command, was unable to see if work was distributed to all cores.
    Linux will assign a process to a core, and will from time to time move a process from one core to another.
    If you want a single process to be distributed across cores at the same time then you have to have a multi-threaded program.

If you use a program like gkrelim you can watch a long running CPU intensive process jump from core to core.

Antikythera

Could not find your reference

Ocratato
    I did a dnf install gkrelm* and yes it revealed that the cores were randomly selected. I will add it to crontab with the @reboot line and see what it reports historically.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

I use these

htop

xosview +cpus

watch -n1 -d cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    x--x--x
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
    Freedom is never Free.
    Pat Jr.