Rant about Android's word / sentence manipulation.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Rant about Android's word / sentence manipulation.

Rant

There are times in a week, where my wife's priorities take precedence over mine. I think that actually, they always take precedence. And her requirements are to do the shopping, or to chauffeur her around.

While she shops, I pull out my trusty Android cellphone, and try to read/respond to some postings I read here.
    I HATE AUTOCORRECT and AUTO-GRAMMER whatever.

I remark that that Android has frequently chosen to substitute a word for the one I entered. It does not like Linux, or Ryzen, and a few other technical words. When I backspace and make the correction, the word shown is visually correct. but android has a mind of it's own--it changes things. All looked good when I hit the send button.

Later, when I am able to view my Android created posting on the desktop terminal, I note that Android decided once again to rename some entries, or even drop text, or do a wordmergetogether. Its actions are bad enough to make a grown man cry.

I have a laptop, but like all devoted husbands, while I wait for my spouse, I sit in the car, listening to the radio, while reading the forum postings. Am I to blame for my faulty postings because I am too lazy to order a new battery for my laptop and am stuck with a 5 inch cellphone? I know the answer to that question, it is yes.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 12th January 2018 at 05:29 AM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Re: Rant about Android's word / sentence manipulation.

Want something even more "fun"? Try "talk-type" which attempts to create text based on your spoken words. Since I apparently have fat fingers and tiny keys, can't figure out "swype" to save my soul, I often use talk-type to chat with family. I seem to be talking clearly and using cohesive thoughts, however when I press the 'send', I've generated garbage! Then, I have to go back and do separate texts to make corrections.

Leslie, we both came from a world where phones were for talking, not texting and I still don't understand why 90% of interactions are typed these days. I'd much prefer to actually speak to my family and friends, not to mention that I can lie and claim I never said bad things when the conversation's done.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Why dion't you simply turn off predictive text autocorrect in your phone settings? This post reminded me I'd disabled autocorrect years back on my old Galaxy SII, and sent me off to my new Note8 settings to do the same.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

As I frequently put in Japanese words in English--I have a Japanese keyboard as well, but it's often in the midst of an English sentence--I do find myself sending some odd messages. Eventually, it seems to learn frequently used words, but (being another from that generation, in my 60's), quite aggravating.

The Gboard will also save words, if you enter something it doesn't recognise just tap the left entry to store it. Next time you type it, it won't replace the right word e.g. Linux with Limited for example.

Moved to Wibble as it's not a Fedora rant which that section is for

Emails offer the advantage of not being concerned with time-zones. For example, your time is 5 hours ahead of my local time. Ocratato's time is 13 hours difference. I learned to touchtype when in high-school, and of course, with Android, it is the swipe or google speak.
    My thread was done with the Android. I came to visit it, and did a markup of two errors.
    Leslie in Montreal

I'm not a fan of Apple, but I have to say that their accessibility stuff out of the box is excellent. I have a blind friend who uses it for input/output and I reckon he can "type" quicker and more accurately than I can on an Android keyboard.

You are right. My wife is of Spanish-Hebrew origin. She came to Montreal and since French is a Latin language, where noun gender is the same in both languages, she chose French. Eighteen months later, when we became serious, she had to restart with English.
    Bottom line, the Android Google spell check helps her out immensely. And as she does much texting to my sons and daughter, her English spelling is improving. She can spell better in English than can I in French.
    Leslie in Montreal