Strange greeter/login issue Fedora 27 - can't login unless switching to CLI and back
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Strange greeter/login issue Fedora 27 - can't login unless switching to CLI and back

Hi, I'm on a fresh install of Fedora 27. When I attempt to login from the standard greeter installed with Gnome I am able to enter my ID and password, hit return, and .... it just stares at me. The password field goes away, but nothing happens.

Then I ctrl-alt-F2, go to a command line... I don't need to login, I just need to switch to a text console... and then ctrl-alt-F1 to go back to the GUI I hit return one more time and it logs me in just fine.

It seems like some strange kind of focus issue. Gnome, latest Nvidia proprietary drivers, dual-monitor setup. Once logged in all seems to work fine from this standpoint.

Any thoughts? It seems the default greeter is LightDM. After having issues I tried using other greeters but lightdm didn't seem to work at all, and GDM greeter hung for minutes before logging in, then was crashy. I admit I might have cruft in my home directory as I've been using the same on since... Fedora single digits, which occasional dotfile cleanouts here and there, but not recently. That may affect the GDM stability, but not the greeter.

I also read about, and installed, some other greeters, but after messing with some config files could not seem to get them to be activated.

Re: Strange greeter/login issue Fedora 27 - can't login unless switching to CLI and b

The next time you switch to ctl-alt, choose F4. Log in as root and run command top. Please report what software is number one in the list.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: Strange greeter/login issue Fedora 27 - can't login unless switching to CLI and b

If your using GDM with rpmfusion nvidia driver there is an extra step as GDM has broken wayland detection.

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...wto%29#Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    If your using GDM with rpmfusion nvidia driver there is an extra step as GDM has broken wayland detection.

https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA?h...wto%29#Wayland
    I'm using the latest downloaded driver from Nvidia.com manually installed. Is this also affected by the GDM issue?

I should add that I also tried Gnome Xorg from the desktop choices on the Greeter as well as Gnome Wayland and it also fails.

Other desktop environments seem to work OK.